Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Locked

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tresa

Tresa

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:04 AM

After rebooting my Dell laptop Inspiron E1505 the desktop screen comes up "sideways" and the keyboard is locked. I have tried different ways to try to move the screen horizontal however it doesn't do anything. I have five (5) icons on my laptop keyboard that illuminate during different functions. The icons are pics of "locks" and one is a "wi-fi" icon and the other is a "i" icon. The wi-fi and the last "lock" icon illuminate after powering on and when the desktop screen comes up, it comes up "sideways". My granddaughter told me to press "CLTR-SHFT-Arrow" to move the screen the correct way and I did that but nothing happens. I'm at a lost. Please help ASAP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:50 AM

Hi Tresa, have you tried to restore to a earlier date before this occurred? Start/all programs/accessories/system tools/restore. Try and report back to this forum.

#3 Tresa

Tresa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:28 AM

I went into System Tools and performed a System Restoral for 6-10 because this was the most recent restoral point and after completing the process it gave me a message: Restoration Incomplete" "Your computer cannot be restored to: Tuesday, June 10, 2008. No changes were made to your computer". I did notice that on 6-10 I had downloaded a "log viewer", so I went into programs install/uninstall and I uninstalled it then ran a defragment and went back into System Restoral and picked a further "past" date in May and received the same message. Restoration Incomplete" "Your computer cannot be restored to: Tuesday, June 10, 2008. No changes were made to your computer". Now I'm not sure what to do.

#4 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

Want to try this?

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps: 1. Start your computer.
2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER

#5 Tresa

Tresa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:22 PM

I also used the option of "Last Known Good Configuration". The Windows logo comes up first (the correct way) and then the desktop starts to load "sideways and the keys are locked". I have to attach a USB mouse to click on any icons. I can select Control Panel and click on any options as long as I'm using the mouse, but if I try to key in anything, nothing happens.

#6 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:51 PM

Tresa, try doing a system restore in "safe mode". You seem to know your way around computers but if you don't know how to do this, post back to this forum for instructions. If this doesn't work you will probably have to do a reformat using your installation disk. Post back and let this forum know how you are progressing with this problem.

#7 Tresa

Tresa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

I finally had to take to a technician and he said he would have to re-install everything because it lost its "driver". Thank you for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users