Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would You Spend Money To Replace An Optical Disk Drive On An Older Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:48 AM

Hi there, Just needing some opinions on whether I should replace my 3 year old laptop's optical drive. The DVD-/+RW drive just burned out (pretty sure from the diagnostic test) and it can't read anything. I do have a replacement drive from previously when I called customer support to complain about how I had to open the drive manually. They sent me a replacement, but I didn't even use it because I got the other one to work, so it's been sitting around for a while now.

The thing is, I don't want to install it myself since I've never worked on a laptop and personally wuldn't want to risk ruining it from replacing a DVD drive, when I could just buy an external one. (I normally use it as a desktop replacement).

So would you spend money on a computer shop to install the optical drive in my laptop? Not sure what their procedure is on labor for that. The only reasons I woouldn't is because of the age of the laptop, and the money used for labor, I could buy a faster DVD -/+ RW external one.

Thanks for the opioninos!

PS. It's a 17inch Inspiron with 2 GB RAM, 1.7GH single processor, 80GB hard drive, XP, and still runs great (thanks to bleeping). 256 GEForce Go video card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:37 AM

Which exact model is it, Bernie70?

Since you have a replacment, did you get instructions on how to install it?

If you have all of that, and you don't want to try it yourself, I'd take the instructions to a reputable PC shop and ask them what their installation charge would be. I suspect it will only be their 1 hour labor charge, but I'm not sure, as some may take longer.

If it is only 1 hour labor, I'd say go for it since you imply the laptop is working for you just fine otherwise.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:17 AM

Getting someone else to do it will cost like 80 bucks.
Doing it yourself will take 15-20 minutes and is super simple. These drives are held on by one screw or two on the actual drive housing and they slide out and the new one slides back in.

Just get the proper screw driver and start taking out the screws around the bottom of the case and pull the back case off.

Do a search on the internet with your model for a pictorial guide for doing this. You might find one.

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:30 AM

CGM3 is correct here. On all the Dells laptops I've seen, it's take out one screw, release the lock, slide out the old, slide in the new. Put lock screw back in if you wish.

If you post the Inspiron model, I'm sure someone can point you to the correct page in the online service manual.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

If portability isn't a must:
http://www.newegg.com/Product $20.00
and $30.00 for a DVD drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:43 PM

If you know how to use a screwdriver and Google it will save you
some money.
This Inspiron has 3 screws to remove the drive:
http://www.bixnet.com/in2626opdrin.html

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 Bernie70

Bernie70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it. I looked at the online manual on the DELL website and was surprised at how easy it looked. After following all of the safety precautions, I proceeded to replace the optical drive.

one screw and a "plastic scribe" later to push the drive out, and I was set. The questionable drive was in my hand. Holy Moly, I thought to myself. After putting the replacement in, I turned on the computer, and the laptop recognized it right away. It read a Brain Games disk and wrote data on a CD. I guess I'm all set! Thanks again.

Bernie

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

:thumbsup:

Good for you.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:07 PM

:huh:
Now it's time to rebuild that pesky transmission that's
been slipping. :thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users