Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid 5 Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CSVT_2004

CSVT_2004

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

Here's the story, last week was remote desktoped into my server and was working on it, all of a sudden my screen locked and terminated my session, logged in a little bit later with an unexpected restart error. No biggie, went to launch something and it didn't go, opened up disk management reactivated my RAID 5, but 1 disk of 4 was "missing" okay, that's fine, data still works.... so i replaced the bad drive... Okay same model/size etc... problem is... it now shows 5 disks.... the missing is still attached to the RAID 5 volume, did some reading.. only way to remove a disk is to remove the volume... point of no return.... upon deleting the volume, all the drives volumes are deleted... so I delete the "missing" disk. recreate the volume as RAID 5 and tell it not to format.... well needless to say as I try to access the logical drive... it says it's not formated... didn't format, I've run Get back data NTFS and it sees all the data... problem is that most of it is corrupt when I try to restore it.... pretty much everything "recovered" is unusable... Any ideas on how I can get the data back... I've read some articles that talk about finding the backup boot partition to restore it the the primary location.

System Specs:
Windows Server 2003 R2
Boot Drive : SCSI 36GB
RAID 5 : 4 x Seagate 500GB 3GB/s SATA
(software RAID through Disk Management in Windows)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CSVT_2004

CSVT_2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:09 AM

Bump :flowers: :thumbsup:

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

I am not experienced with Server equipment but I will let the other advisors know about your question.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 CSVT_2004

CSVT_2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

I am not experienced with Server equipment but I will let the other advisors know about your question.

Thank you, I need some help getting these back, music and movies are replaceable, but the pictures on my server are not... Can't got back 4 years and retake photos...

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

Hello, CSVT_2004

Sorry to dig up an old thread.. just noticed.

Try following the instructions here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/window...ppen,925-4.html

These are for a hacked together raid-5 soultion on Windows XP, but since server 2k3 and ZP are the same codebase, they should be pretty much the same :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users