Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus A8n Memory Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 woejipums

woejipums

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:07 PM

What's up peeps? I have an Asus A8n SLI Deluxe and just got some new ram that I'm trying to get running as fast as possible. I have 2x1024 and 2x512 RAM sticks all of the same brand and timing (ULTRA 400mhz 3200). I do have the latest version of the bios on the ASUS site. The problem is that the only way I can get them running at 400 MHZ is if i just put my two GIG sticks in there by themselves...and ONLY if they're in the 2 middle memory slots which are NOT the same color...The caveat is that they will only run in single channel mode when set up like this. If I move them into the two BLUE spots where they're supposed to be, they only run at 266MHZ when set to AUTO in bios...weird huh?

When i have all 4 of the above sticks loaded in their respective places...2 gigs in the blue and a 512 in each of the black slots, they will run in dual channel mode...but they will only run at 333 MHZ...all attempts to raise the MHZ to 400 manually have failed...tried different timings and settings and have had to reset CMOS every time because i don't know what i'm doing. Can someone suggest what I should do or settings to use to get all 4 sticks up to 400 MHZ? That was the reason for me buying my 2nd gig stick...to get them running in dual channel AND at 400 MHZ. THX for the help...if i left anything out just ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:50 PM

My Asus motherboard manual depicts the proper alignment of modules if I choose to run in dual-channel.

Have you checked yours to see that you have the modules configured properly for such?

Louis

#3 woejipums

woejipums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

Yes, they just say to pair the sizes up together...like put both 1 gig sticks in the blue slots and both 512's in the
black slots...i think. What exactly do you mean by alignment though?

Edited by woejipums, 12 June 2008 - 09:40 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

I have an Asus M2A-VM, which has 4 slots for RAM.

The manual depicts clearly that I have to have the modules in 1 & 2 or 1, 2, 3, 4 to run dual-channel. No other options. The only variation is the number of modules I employ (2 for 1,2 and 4 for 1,2,3,4). DIMM 1 is the one closest to the center of the board.

Louis

#5 woejipums

woejipums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

looking @ my PC upright and going left to right i have 1 gig stick in the far left, then a 512, then another gig stick, and another 512. I'm not sure of any other way this would go because you're supposed to match up the sizes in the corresponding colors arrent you?

also It does run in dual channel in the above configuration, just not at 400 MHZ...only 333

Edited by woejipums, 13 June 2008 - 03:41 PM.

#6 woejipums

woejipums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:52 PM

Can anyone with an Asus MOBO with assorted sizes of RAM jump in and comment? I'm dying at 333 :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users