Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:06 PM

Hello.

Currently I have 2 seperate hard drives in my pc, one as a primary master the other is secondary master.Would it help to increase my system performance if I will keep it that way?.Currently my primary master has 4 partitions on it.It's a 40 g hard drive.Im planning to reformat and remove three partitions.While the other one (20gig)has 2 partitions.Is it true that the more hard disks installed the faster it can be considering there is no change on the amt of memory?Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

The transfer rate of the hdd determines how fast it is. A ATA or PATA hdd has a maximum transfer rate of about 133MBps, a SATA starts out at 150MBps and can go up to 3Gbps.

More hdds by them selves doesn't equate to faster performance by themselves, having the OS on one partition and you files on a separate partition can make it marginally faster. I think what you are thinking if is having hdds in a RAID array, this can produce faster performance.

If you have two IDE hdd on the same IDE cable, one must have the jumper set to Master and be on the end connector, the second hdd must be set to Slave and connected to the middle connector.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:03 PM

I appreciate your reply.Thank you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

My pleasure, hope it helped. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users