Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator's Account

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thestudent

thestudent

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

Hi people, I am new to posting on forums and so call myself the student. I really need your help here.
I use Windows XP Home Edition and recently had it my hard drive reformatted.
I then reinstalled Windows XP and downloaded Windows Steadystate. By this download I made myself the admininistrator (password protected). I then created 3 accounts, 1 unlocked-pat's and 2 unlocked accounts-ray's and tom's . For the locked, I set up medium restrictions in 'windows and feature restrictions,' set up time allowed on the web and inserted 'allowed sites.'
Ray has a PSP and prior to the reformating above, he was able to get on the web via this means, once the main computer was on. After the reformating, and being very restricted by steadystate restrictions he used pat's (permission given) account to get on. Since then, and like he did before the reformat (hence the reformat was needed-a second time), he downloaded certain software off the Net and has successfully revealed my administrator's password. Ray has also removed this password and can now change, at his whim and fancy, any setting in Windows steadystate. He has effectively made himself the administrator and has shown tom how to do what he did. He has also cleverly hidden files and programmes that help him to do these things.
People, I really need your expert knowledge in regaining administator's control and preventing such future hijacking by these kid, for their own internet good. NB System restore did not help.
Thank you very much for your hoped for help.
thestudent

Edited by garmanma, 12 June 2008 - 07:36 PM.
moving to a more appropiate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

You are saying, in other words, that the users are bypassing their setup and using the computer in a way you had not intended and that you would like a more fool-proof setup?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 azazel83

azazel83

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:57 AM

set administrator password when window run in safe mode...it will prevent other user to change your password...

after u set your administrator password on safe mode, then u have to set 2nd administrator password when window run in normal mode...

thats it...easy right?? :thumbsup:

set administrator password when window run in safe mode...it will prevent other user to change your password...

after u set your administrator password on safe mode, then u have to set 2nd administrator password when window run in normal mode...

thats it...easy right?? :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users