Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Xp Professional Have A Firewall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 williamvincent

williamvincent

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:42 PM

hi to all
does a computer that has windows xp professional SP1 have a built in firewall?
if not can anyone recommend a really good firewall to help protect my computer please. thankyou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:52 PM

XP does have a firewall, however SP1 is quite a bit out of date now SP3 is the latest update to windows. A good firewall for XP http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
Regards,

Alan.

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hello.

You really should be updating to SP2 now.

Even though XP has a built in firewall, a third party firewall will offer more protection.

With Regards,
The Panda

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:56 PM

SP1 is no longer supported by Microsoft - it no longer receives critical updates, leaving the computer vulnerable to malware attack. You really should upgrade to at least SP2.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:35 AM

thank you to all 3 of you for your replies.
i have tried to update the laptop by through windows update it says i need to install or update critera before i can look for system updates. problem is everytime i do it one componet says it fails to load and then i get stuck because when i look on the computer the update is there but the windows website does not recognise it. bit strange but i have had a lot of problems with the laptop with it being hacked ect.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

You can download SP3 directly from here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users