Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Meaning Of "shareware" In Nod32

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:00 PM

Does anybody know what does NOD32 means saying that the Download is "shareware"? Does it mean just that it will remain without update settings options or that it will get off? Many thanks and friendly regards to everybody.
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:22 PM

Definition: - Shareware is software that is distributed free on a trial basis with the understanding that the user may need or want to pay for it later. Some software developers offer a shareware version of their program with a built-in expiration date (after 30 days, the user can no longer get access to the program).

Above definition taken from and a more thorough explanation see: here

In your specific case ESET NOD 32 states on their website: "Try ESET NOD32 Antivirus free for 30 days"

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:16 AM

Dear animal, many thanks. I obviously knew what you have the kindness to tell me, but..., i's very well known that specifically "shareware NOD32" is not clear at all (that's because I am asking for help), for there are many people, as my son, using it for many months with no interruptions or getting off. It seems to me that the "shareware NOD32" has limitations in the scheduling update profile. Then, if one doesn't buy the registered one it just remains so, what is more than enough for domestic personal use. The case is that the application is very good indeed in all perspectives, but very expensive. Then, I want to know if I have to start preparing myself for going back to my previous antivirus or keep quiet with what I have with "shareware NOD32". As a matter of facts, since I am using this application, secondary to the finding of a bunch of trojans, my PC is functioning a lot better than before. I wait for somebody who might know what's the meaning of "Shareware NNOD32". Many thanks for your kindness and friendly greetings. :thumbsup:

Edited by merellogalasso, 13 June 2008 - 08:18 AM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,293 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

It is apparent to me that my explanation is not clear due to what appear to be language difficulties. Let me try once again.

Shareware means that you have a limited time, deteremined by the software writer. To use the software with full functions, what ever those may be. The writer of the software is enticing you to buy it, after a certain time frame that they have shared the software with you. Many aspects of the functionality of the software you are using cease. This is the sharing aspect of the software, while it is fully functional. Once that time frame you were informed of to begin with, has expired. It is then up to you to decide if you like the shareware enough to buy it. If you choose not to, the software/shareware is no longer supported. And likely does not function completely or at all in some cases.

In the case of NOD32, you have outdated virus definitions and are at risk to newer viruses. You will not be able to update the virus definitions or be able to access any support for the software. You likely have lost some features of active scanning. It is up to you to either leave it in reduced mode knowing you are not fully protected. Or choose another antivirus. Or pay for the software to maintain the high level of protection.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

Can you find something similar to http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20070715/...nfo.cropped.png it should say somewhere on the information page this copy will expire in X days.

Also what version are you using?
Regards,

Alan.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

NOD32 is superb. I use it and like it very much.

But if you do not want to pay, may I suggest Avira Antivir. I use it as well and it's as good as NOD32. It is free (not shareware, not trial). It protects. It updates well. It doesn't cause problems and has been very highly rated in detecting malware.

If you decide to try it, you should first download Antivir http://www.free-av.com/
and save it in a place you'll remember.

Then uninstall NOD32 (Programs > Eset > Uninstall).
Reboot the computer.
Finally, install Antivir by running the file you downloaded. Set it up and you're good to go.

#7 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

Sorry, but the language problem is not mine... You must read, dear friend, my message, more cautiously. I am essentially telling that my son is using NOD32 for months without interruptions and that's because of that, that I am asking if the meaning of shareware for this antivirus could mean just that it will remain with the impossibility to setup special updates as it is the shareware. How could you even imagine that I do not know what's shareware in "general". Do you belong to the group of people that believe that all "others" are necessary solemn ignorants? I understand your innocent convictions because I was living in an English speaking country and I could check some cultural realities that are absolutely incredible. Why should I write in English and not in Spanish? (considering the amount of Spanish speaking people in the world) -could be a very good question for personal health-. Friendly greetings and many thanks for your interest in helping. We remain friends but let us not fall in temerary judgements..., please. Kind regards.

It is apparent to me that my explanation is not clear due to what appear to be language difficulties. Let me try once again.

Shareware means that you have a limited time, deteremined by the software writer. To use the software with full functions, what ever those may be. The writer of the software is enticing you to buy it, after a certain time frame that they have shared the software with you. Many aspects of the functionality of the software you are using cease. This is the sharing aspect of the software, while it is fully functional. Once that time frame you were informed of to begin with, has expired. It is then up to you to decide if you like the shareware enough to buy it. If you choose not to, the software/shareware is no longer supported. And likely does not function completely or at all in some cases.

In the case of NOD32, you have outdated virus definitions and are at risk to newer viruses. You will not be able to update the virus definitions or be able to access any support for the software. You likely have lost some features of active scanning. It is up to you to either leave it in reduced mode knowing you are not fully protected. Or choose another antivirus. Or pay for the software to maintain the high level of protection.

#8 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:25 AM

Thanks a lot. I will try, because I feel that my question has been bad understood by someone, as I was a stupid. I like NOD32, but I do not like to be using something that will suddenly stop. Neither my son nor the forum have answered me my question. If you read in the internet, many people say that NOD32 has not wished to say what's the meaning of its shareware condition, and that's the reason because I am asking, not because I am arriving yesterday to the field of computation. Many thanks, friendly regards. Here I go to Antivir...

But if you do not want to pay, may I suggest Avira Antivir. I use it as well and it's as good as NOD32. It is free (not shareware, not trial). It protects. It updates well. It doesn't cause problems and has been very highly rated in detecting malware.

If you decide to try it, you should first download Antivir http://www.free-av.com/

Reboot the computer.
Finally, install Antivir by running the file you downloaded. Set it up and you're good to go.

#9 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

Many thanks. My version is 2.5. I want to clarify to everybody that the issue is not that "I do not want" to pay. Currently I CANNOT. Many thanks and kind regards.

Can you find something similar to http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20070715/...nfo.cropped.png it should say somewhere on the information page this copy will expire in X days.

Also what version are you using?

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

NOD32 2,5 is quite a while out of date, the latest version is 3.0. The 3.0 version fixes problems and uses advanced protection methods, while you are using 2.5 you are not really protected very well. While it is facinating that it thinks it is registered, it is not protecting the system. I would advise that you remove it and instal a suitable replacement like Antivir as mentioned by tos226.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:58 AM

Sorry to have found eternal time for AVIR updating plus final failure. I went back to NOD32 that started to count days again. Many thanks.

Reboot the computer.

#12 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

Avir has huge troubles at updating. Many thanks and regards

NOD32 2,5 is quite a while out of date, the latest version is 3.0. The 3.0 version fixes problems and uses advanced protection methods, while you are using 2.5 you are not really protected very well. While it is facinating that it thinks it is registered, it is not protecting the system. I would advise that you remove it and instal a suitable replacement like Antivir as mentioned by tos226.

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

I'm using it now, and have not had any problems updating.
Regards,

Alan.

#14 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

Congratulations. I was speaking of me. Greetings

I'm using it now, and have not had any problems updating.

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,293 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:08 PM

Sorry, but the language problem is not mine... You must read, dear friend, my message, more cautiously. I am essentially telling that my son is using NOD32 for months without interruptions and that's because of that, that I am asking if the meaning of shareware for this antivirus could mean just that it will remain with the impossibility to setup special updates as it is the shareware. How could you even imagine that I do not know what's shareware in "general". Do you belong to the group of people that believe that all "others" are necessary solemn ignorants? I understand your innocent convictions because I was living in an English speaking country and I could check some cultural realities that are absolutely incredible. Why should I write in English and not in Spanish? (considering the amount of Spanish speaking people in the world) -could be a very good question for personal health-. Friendly greetings and many thanks for your interest in helping. We remain friends but let us not fall in temerary judgements..., please. Kind regards.

If you had read carefully, as you suggest for me to do yourself. I did not suggest that it was you that have a language problem. It is WE who have a language problem. I am obviously not understanding your wordings and am having to make assumptions regarding your intricate phraseology. I would never be so self absorbed to ever consider you ignorant whatsoever, or for that matter any other member of this forum. That is an assumption you are making from one simple phrase I made, that due to the fact I attempted to reply you. And you chose to state I was in error, and not understanding you.

I am not sure I understand your statement about posting in Spanish or where you live and how that relates to a difficulty understanding each other. But I absolutely agree we remain friendly and not let a small misunderstanding cause us any issues in the future.

Just as an aside regarding posting in Spanish, very few here would be able to understand your question, and we would be of lettle help. We highly suggest that questions be posted in English since this is a US based forum.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users