Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Resets And Freezes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

Hi guys, been having problems with my pc. it keeps freezing if i leave it idle or if i extract say 2 rar files at once it will just reset. playing games is now no good as its ok when idle nothing happens but when things start happening it resets. ive seen the CPU % going to 100% alot which doesnt seem right. i have a AMD x2 4600+ with 3gb ddr and 6600 PCI-E gfx.

Any one have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:02 PM

Try using Event Viewer to look for clues, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Post the error messages reflected if/when such appear.

Check that all fans are working properly and assure yourself that the system is not overheating. Heat is a common cause of abrupt freezes.

Run chkdsk /r on the C: partition.

Why Chkdsk -r Instead Of Error Checking - The Elder Geek on Windows XP - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30751 If you choose to start chkdsk from My Computer/Explorer, put check marks in both options (scan, recover).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2008 - 03:03 PM.

#3 madnlooney

madnlooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

thank you for your help i will try the things mentioned and post results. it abit late in UK right now for me to start this as im up early.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users