Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Sp3 Install Problem - Clbcatq.dll Clbcatex.dll

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

I've been having some trouble installing XP SP3 recently - anyone else seen this error? I got the 350MB or so SP3 offline install, but about halfway through it stops because of a missing file: clbcatq.dll. If I skip it, it also claims to be missing clbcatex.dll, at which point if I skip the file, the whole installation fails, and uninstalls any changes it has made. Any ideas?

(I did try to do the online version, which also quits about halfway saying it couldn't find the needed files - didn't specify which ones.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

The correct SP3 package should be 316MB. Edited to change from 316GB :thumbsup:.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

XP Service Pack 3 Installation - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/cc164204.aspx

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2008 - 05:22 PM.

#3 YHB318

YHB318
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

Sounds about right - yeah, that's the one I downloaded. Good thing it's not really 316 GB! :thumbsup: Any ideas anyone?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:52 PM

I find that particular file in several places, the most notable in the Windows/System 32 folder.

I also find it mentioned several times on logs of various updates, so it appears to be key to update installation.

It's not a new file, I see references going back to 2004.

If you don't have one in your current install...I'd consider doing a repair of that before doing anything else.

I see it installed in the usual places: System32, Sys32/dllcache, i386, Service Pack folders...and KB 902400.

Me...I'd do a repair install of SP2 and hope for the best or a repair of XP itself, since I have CDs with SP2 consolidated.

Louis

#5 YHB318

YHB318
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, that's the weird thing - it's actually already on the computer. When I manually point to a location that has the file, it doesn't recognize it. It's the weirdest thing - I suppose if it hasn't happened to you, it doesn't make much sense. Well, no, it doesn't make much sense either way! Anyway, maybe I'll just leave SP2 on for a while - at least until I get the time to reload Windows. Anyone ever seen any Virus or Spyware hide itself as those files? I just cleaned a bunch off and now AVG8, AdAware 2008, and HJT are coming back clean, but something just doesn't feel right. Oh well!

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:46 PM

Tried CHKDSK?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#7 YHB318

YHB318
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

Actually I haven't, but that's not a bad idea. Everything seemed to be working fine, at least on the hardware end of things. I'll give it a shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users