Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows Xp Loads As Vista. Why?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dporter

dporter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

Several weeks ago I installed a Vista emulation program on my Windows XP Pro, HP Computer. I later removed it after noting that certain programs would not load at all as well as other little twirks in the system. In spite of doing everything I could to remove the Vista emulation software my computer boots up with a Windows Vista logo before loading the drivers and then loading as Windows XP.
With this, last used program icons will not go into my Start Menu box, like before. My XDrive backup program cannot find my network, and thus will not load properly. It says: "The specified network name is no longer available." My Network Places \ Entire Network lists:

1. Microsoft Terminal Services
2. Microsoft Windows Network
3. Netware or Compatible Network
4. Web Client Network

Where these all came from, I do not know. I am not on a network where I share with another computer. I do use Virtual Box and it has been set up properly and works well. My XDrive will work fine through my Virtual Box but not through my main desktop.

Also, when I boot up I am forced to have to login as HP Administrator when I never had to login before. I simply had the machine to boot up without having to login.

All this has occurred since I installed and removed that Vista emulation software. I use ESED NOD32 antivirus and the free version of Online Armor as my firewall. I have also run Malwarebytes and Superanitspyware and cc cleaner and RegCure, to no avail. Can you help me identify and root out this problem? I would much appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

I wouldn't be able to tell you about the emulation, you might be able to stop the loading screen for vista by setting XP as the default OS.

But Id recomend not to use such things as regcure or CCleaner unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing in the registry.

The registry is very VERY sensitive and does NOT like to be poked or prodded.

If you want to clean out the registry id recommend reformat and reinstall, if you do that your probably would also rid of the Windows vista loading problem. But I do not know if you have an XP disc or how much you value your files.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 dporter

dporter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

Reformatting, of course, is my last resort. I was just hoping that maybe there was a way to correct the problem in a different way.

#4 dporter

dporter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:53 AM

I did a regedit and found vista transformation pack on my registry. This is the program I originally installed. Do you think I can just go in there and delete it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users