Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still Can't Install Sp3

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 melbb

melbb

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:55 AM

I did everything I was supposed to regarding turning off AV and Firewall and Antispyware software. I have tried every suggestion I can find online. I read the pinned thread about SP3, too. I tried microsofts suggestions (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377, method 3 didn't follow through, gave me the BSD). Also found another page that had some additional suggestions about starting BITS and clearing the software distribution folder. None of this worked.

The problem is occuring when the registry is being backed up. It hangs up on the file associated with the KB926239 update. I couldn't find any information on this update and SP3. So I don't know what to do.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

Have you tried using dial a fix http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix
Regards,

Alan.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:16 AM

What service pack do you have installed successfully on your system now? This article explains about the KB article in question that is causing the hang up...It is a hotfix for WMP10...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/a....dll-17120.html

I don't understand why this would cause the hang-up...

Edited by douglas martin, 12 June 2008 - 09:19 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 melbb

melbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:49 AM

I tried dial a fix. I still got the same error.

I have SP2 installed.

#5 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

Hi all,

I am wondering what would happen if you logged on as Windows itself (SYSTEM) and tried to install it?

It's not that hard to do:
  • Login with admin rights
  • Open a command prompt
  • Look at your computers time and add 2 or three minutes to it (example: 8:30pm, write down 20:33)
  • at the command prompt type at [time you wrote down] /interactive cmd.exe
  • Above example would be at 20:33 /interactive cmd.exe
  • While your waiting, open task manager
  • close the command prompt
  • When the selected time arrives, a command prompt window will appear.
  • Leave this command prompt open and go to task manager, processes, and find explorer.exe and select KILL
  • You will be left with only a command prompt wndow, at the prompt, type explorer.exe
  • This will take a few miinutes as Windows gets a bit confused, but eventually the desktop will re-appear and if you click the start button you should now see SYSTEM as the logged on user. You now have SYSTEM's permissions.
I won't be responsible if your system blows up though, I have had to do this a few times to get into some directories to delete some files (and I couldn't do it the easy way with my Linux Live CD with NTFS, cause I didn't have it with me. :thumbsup:

I'm just being curious, I have been seeing advisories against SP3 XP and XP2 (Vista) so I don't know if it's good or bad.

JB

NOTICE: Logging in as the system account has huge security risks as it's access is even higher than admin, if you do this, do what you need to do and restart your computer. This should only be used in extreme emergencies.

-----
The only problem that I have as an I.T. tech is that I don't have the luxury of the famous excuse: "Sorry, I don't do windows."
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

#6 melbb

melbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

Thank you for the response. I think I will try to see if there are other solutions before trying that. I don't want to crash my system.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:54 PM

Sooo...does your "I did everything, etc." statement...mean that you tried to install SP3 via Windows Update?

How about some system specifics, please? Boxmaker, model, etc.

I had a problem with RC3 where it would hang up when accessing the registry...but the final version of SP3 did not have that problem and installed smoothly (via Windows Update).

Louis

#8 melbb

melbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:02 PM

I have a dell XPS 8400. Runs XP Home Edition XP2. I have Norton system works and internet security which I disabled before updating. I have WinPatrol, which I disabled. I have a few anti-spyware programs, but they aren't real time and don't do automatic updates, so as far as I know, they are disabled if I don't have the program open and running. I have tried running the update from Microsoft update, as well as downloading and running from the desktop. I tried Dial-A-Fix and got the same error. I tried downloading the subinacl.exe file and running the reset.cmd script suggested by microsoft. While running the script I got the blue screen of death. I checked the registry keys associated with the registry backup error (access denied, associated with KB926239 update). It denied me access. I tried changing permissions in case that was the problem. It wouldn't let me. I do have administrative privileges. On a similar note, I am having the same problem with my laptop, which is a Dell Inspirion 6000 and Runs XP Media Center Edition. The hangup is also on a registry entry, but for a different update (KB873339, also can't modify registry permissions). That computer has the same anti-spyware programs but different AV (avira antivir) and firewall (comodo).

Edited by melbb, 12 June 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

Yes, I ran that subinacl.exe thing when my RC3 would not install...about the only thing I could suggest would be to:

a. Run chkdsk /r on your boot partition.

b. Defrag the C: partition.

Your woes sound just like my situation with RC3, after I had no problem installing RC2.

Forgetting the install of SP3...do you have any other permissions (access denied) situations?

Louis

#10 melbb

melbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:42 PM

I haven't had any other access denied issues. I started working on my laptop after my last post. I was able to run the script on there and then I went into safe mode to instal SP3. It got past the previous registry entry, but then got stopped on another entry (HKLM/System/currentcontrolset/services/security/security/event message file). Something to do with security. I have to look into it. I think I may have written it down wrong. This is very frustrating. About the defrag, this is a new hard drive that I cloned to from my old hard drive. I had run check disk and defrag on the old drive before cloning. This was two weeks ago. Would it still be worth doing those things?

#11 melbb

melbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

Okay, so I restarted the laptop and tried running the update again so I could verify where the latest registry problem was, because I wrote it down wrong. This time I am running it in normal mode. It did not get hung up again and seems to be doing the install now. Whether it completes or not remains to be seen. This is all mysterious. Doesn't help with my desktop system, though.

#12 melbb

melbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

Well, SP3 installed on the Laptop. Unfortunately I still don't know what the problem was. Was it the script or safe mode that fixed things? I haven't tried safe mode with my desktop, so maybe I will try that next.

#13 melbb

melbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:18 PM

Safe mode failed. It stopped at the same place in the registry. So I am thinking the key is running that script. But every time I do it, I get a stop error and have to restart the computer. Microsoft error reporting says that it is due to a device driver. In the last 2 weeks I got a new internal hard drive and added two external drives (one of which is my old internal drive). The external drives are always off except when I am backing up data. The new drive is a clone of the old one. After I did the clone, I just removed the old drive. Is it possible the driver from the old drive is causing the problem?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

At this point...you know a lot more about what's going on...than I do :thumbsup:.

All I can suggest is to try to duplicate whatever worked on System 1...on System 2.

As for what might impede...who knows? I had a finger pointed to an ATI driver when I went through my adventure with the RC...I immediately deleted that driver, but also did a number of other unorthodox things...before it installed.

Partial success is always a lot better than total failure, so be optimistic and take your time.

Louis

#15 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:15 PM

So are you saying you get permissions errors every time you try to install SP3?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users