Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant run any games

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 dsfan68

dsfan68

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:20 AM

Hello . I run Windows 98. I have games and other cd-roms that I can not get to install to save my life. I get error messages such as" device attached to system is not available" or Win 32 is not a valid applcation. or missing KERNDL32.DLL. Just crazy things that I do not understand. I can play music CDs. I am thinking it may be something corrupt with my windows program. My computer already came with windows installed. so I do not think I can remove it and start again. I try installing my games from "add/remove new programs" and also by going to my computer and selecting the E drive icon (mine is located on the E drive.) What can I do??
I know I have plenty of memory. And they games I am tring to play have already been on the computer, but now I cant do anything.
What about doing a quick restore? I actually did that once a while back, but when I did it did not recognize my new modem I had installed, instead it basically sadi the old one was in there, and I had a heck of a time re-installing my new one. Even with the installation disc it still gave me fits. Any advice out there??

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:38 PM

Is it possible the games itself are bad? Are these on a cd or downloaded?

#3 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:18 PM

Like Grinler said, the game might be bad. If it is a download it might be missing some files.

#4 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:30 PM

Hi fan;yeah the old Colonel32dll,..if I had a $ for every time etc...Any error codes
or unusual beeps on boot up??If not,try useful utility in 98;SYS FILE CHECKER.
START/RUN/type SFC in box/OK.Run so it # integrity of all files;on finding x-linked,
corrupted or missing files it will ask you what to do about it!WHA...?Direct it to
WIN98 folder(browse to)& click ok("search there #**!)If it draws blank, insert CD,
run again&direct to D.Cross linked DLL files are a bug(2 utes using same file)-
Other extreme resort is to uninstall CD.ROM drive in device manager &(a)get
windows to find new driver or (b)reboot & usually W will locate&reinstall driver.But
try everything else first.(Hope you backed up system files when they were GD,if
not sort problem & then do it.)

#5 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

You can also run Setup from the CD(dont format)&a floppy boot disk.Insert both
choose CDROM support @ prompt, type E:SETUP@A prompt;-will restore any files.
What sort of modem you running?Locate drivers from manufact. if problem-but
should be ok now modems setup.Any hardware likewise.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:05 PM

Deodar - excuse me for butting in but I think dsfan68 said he does not have a Win98 CD so he cannot follow your SETUP instructions. Also I would be really careful about advising people to run sfc without warning them to leave User.exe alone. If they replace that without additional instructions their machine may become unbootable.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:57 AM

Deodar - excuse me for butting in but I think dsfan68 said he does not have a Win98 CD so he cannot follow your SETUP instructions. Also I would be really careful about advising people to run sfc without warning them to leave User.exe alone. If they replace that without additional instructions their machine may become unbootable.

Yes, although we do apprieciate your expertise. :thumbsup: This site is geared toward newbies. So we must proceed with caution when offering advice. :flowers:
Posted Image

#8 dsfan68

dsfan68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

Hello all. Thanks for all the advice. My games are all on CD. No downloads. I have had them all for quite a while now and they have worked in the past. I do not know if I did something to mess them up ( probably knowing me :thumbsup: )
But now they refuse to do anything. I am just short of shooting my computer or smashing it with a hammer.... repeatedly :flowers:
I will go and try some of the things I saw here. Unfortunately I have no phone so I can't go online and do it at home I have to come up to the local library, write it all down then go home and try. What about the quick restore?? Any thoughts on if I should do it again??

Thanks!!
GO PACERS!!!! :trumpet:

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2005 - 02:46 PM

A quick restore will definitely reinstall your windows, but then you will be stuck reinstalling everything. It could be something wrong in windows, unfortunately its really hard to tell.

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:29 PM

Can i suggest going back to basics?
Boot in Safe Mode, Scandisk (with Thorough and Fix checked) and then Defrag.

If you are not sure how to do these things there is a tutorial here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...Mode-tut61.html

and instructions from another post by Scarlett:

Defrag >
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

Scan Disk >
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scan Disk

Cleaning out your Cache >
Internet Explorer Toolbar > Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files > Delete History > Delete Cookies

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? And who are the Pacers?

Edited by Rimmer, 07 April 2005 - 09:33 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#11 dsfan68

dsfan68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:41 AM

OK. First of all " who are the Pacers"??? :thumbsup: Are you crazy or do you not live in the USA?? The Indiana Pacers!! You know Reggie Miller," Uncle Reggie" the best 3 point shooter of basketball EVER??? LOL. Ok that said and done....
I tried going to the star--run--sfc thing and all it gave me was something on one of my aol files to be fixed. If I do a quick restore I really do not have that much to re-install, because I do not have any personal stuff on my computer. It is just a hassle because it is a hassle to re-do all of my personal settings. Plus the last time I did it, somehow the system re-set to the original factory settings(of course) and it did not recognize my new modem that was installed and I had a heck of a time getting that worked out.
I have gone to my device mangager tab and it says my CD rom is working properly. I have done every trubleshooter that I can find, and I have a stack of books that would make you all think I am a retard for not understanding them.
OF course I prefer to be called "computer challenged". LOL.
What if I could get a hold of a new windows 98 disc? Or maybe a windows XP program? Would my system take it? I have like 256m of RAM, beyond that I am not sure of my other system info because I am not at home right now.
And I have tried to install mygames from every possible way I know of. They are supposed to just automatically start the install process when I put them in. I have gone to " my computer" and clicked the cd-rom icon, it says something like " path to file is denied" and it says "windows cannot run install program call vendor for a later version" it says I may be out of memory and to close some programs, I know I have plenty of memory, and when I do try to clsoe programs, they either do not close, or they re-open or I get that blue screen with the nastygram telling me I have screwed up royally.
When will this torture end????
I thank you all for the help, and the patience, but please keep the advice coming!!
DSfan68

#12 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:10 PM

dsfan68: Please tell us more about the computer brand name, model #, how old, yada-yada....everything you know about it. Is your OS W98 or W98SE? And also let us know if you have any OS installation or restoration-type discs that came with your computer, either from the manufacturer or MS.

And finally, please elaborate about your attempt/results re Rimmer's great advice in his post of yesterday. Specifically: 1) Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? 2) Were you able to run ScanDisc without incident? And 3) Were you able to complete Disc Defragmentation?

Rimmer nailed it re getting back to basics. IMHO, let's first focus on getting your OS debugged and running smoothly and then we can figure out why a game CD is not installing.

Take your time and provide a detailed response. And please be patient, everyone here is a volunteer helping (and learning) as best we can.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#13 dsfan68

dsfan68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:33 AM

Hello all. OK My OS is W98SE, It is a Compaq Presario model 7594. I think we have had it for about 4 years now. 256 is my memory. Not sure of my processor speed. I am going to go try the safe mode re-boot thing today. What is the difference of running scan disc and defrag in safe mode vs in normal mode? Because I have done both of those, only in normal mode. Defrag took forever because I had many programs that had to be closed to keep it from stopping every 10 seconds. But I finally did it and it showed no errors.
So I will check back in tomorrow.

Thanks all!
DSfan68

Oh yeah and I do not have a start up disc for windows because it was installed when we bought it.

Edited by dsfan68, 11 April 2005 - 09:35 AM.

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:12 AM

What is the difference of running scan disc and defrag in safe mode vs in normal mode? Because I have done both of those, only in normal mode. Defrag took forever because I had many programs that had to be closed to keep it from stopping every 10 seconds. But I finally did it and it showed no errors.

You just described what the difference between regular mode and safe mode is. All those background programs you had to shut down aren't running in safe mode. Defragging isn't really about errors - it's about putting all the little bits of files close to each other so your hard drive doesn't have to work so hard to find them. When you use your computer, files get written all over the hard drive. Eventually, these files become so scattered that it takes forever for the drive to gather them all up. Defrag puts all the bits in order to make it easier. If you don't defrag on a reasonably regular basis, you could eventually crash the machine.

Oh yeah and I do not have a start up disc for windows because it was installed when we bought it.

A Windows startup disk is sometimes a lifesaver. You can make one. Go to Start ->
Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and click on the Startup Disk tab. Have a blank floppy disk in the A: drive. Click on "Create Disk." If you ever want to format your drive before you do a clean re-install, the startup disk will be necessary. You should have either a set of Restore Disks or the operating system stored on another hard drive partition. If you ever have to do this, you'll also need your Windows Key. If you lost your key, you can use the Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to get it, then copy it to a safe place.

Keyfinder

#15 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:14 PM

dsfan68: Glad you responded. Looks like we're gonna keep you busy for awhile.

Follow Herk's advice re Safe Mode. You've got to get through a successful ScanDisc and a defrag to get things organized in there. There is a BC Tutorial about getting Windows into Safe Mode, you'll find it here . If things are really messed up in there, it can take many hours to complete each process. Neither is an interactive process, so you can walk away and let them do their thing. You can turn off your monitor if you want.

Also follow Herk's advice about creating a Startup Disc.

I've got a Compaq a bit older than yours and because of doing stupid things (like no firewall and messing around with Kazaa) my system was in really bad shape. BC helped me make a decision to do what is called a Full System Restore (FSR). It was a nasty chore, but when finished I again had what I'd brought home from the store five years ago. You mentioned that you had tried some Quick Restores (or were thinking about that). Those partial restores of certain software (such as MS Works, etc.) are derived from a partition on your HD (designated "D" on mine) but if something has become corrupted in there, we're gonna have to help you obtain (likely from HP/Compaq) a two-disc set of restoration discs that should have been included with your new system. I believe that you can (with some kind of proof of purchase) buy those discs from HP/C for a small amount of money, but let's not worry about that for now.

Nothing so far tells me that you yet need to comtemplate doing a full system restore, but there are some prudent things you could now be doing while your system is still capable of helping. Here's some ideas:

1)The first would be obtaining your Microsoft Product Key. It should be in the paper manual you should have received with your computer. Mine is on the front cover, but I've also seen it on the first inside page, and on the rear cover. It's a weird looking string of five sets of five numbers and letters, each set separated by a hyphen. If you don't have your manual, the Key is hidden away on your hard drive and freeware from Magical Jellybean will reveal it. Their site is here.

2) You are probably already backing up your personal data, but that is especially important when doing a FSR as your hard drive will be wiped clean. This would be a good time, if you can, to burn all of your documents, photos, music, yada-yada onto CDs. Don't forget to also copy your bookmarks/favorites onto a floppy, something I try to remember to do every month or so.

Lastly, next time you post, let us know what protective (anti-virus, firewall, malware, etc.) software are you running and how often you are updating them.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users