Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I try to uninstall McAfee?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:49 AM

Six year-old Compac desktop running W98SE. It came with McAfee, still there, never updated. Installed AVG6 many years ago. BC helped me do a full system restore late last year, now have AVG7, a firewall, and all of the protective goodies recommended by BC. Browsing only with Firefox 1.2. Everything now seemingly working fine (but now that the gremlins heard me say that, things will go wrong :thumbsup: )

So here's my question: Should I attempt to uninstall McAfee? My dad used to say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is McAfee hurting anything (i.e. is it a resource hog)? And if the answer is yes, uninstall, how best to do it (Control Panel, add/remove or via CCleaner, either way in Safe Mode?)

I'm fussing about this because concerned that McAfee is tangled up in things I don't want to screw around with (like the Registry) and maybe it's best to let sleeping dogs sleep. Any and all advice would be appreciated, no hurry.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bradly

bradly

• Deactivated
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:29 AM

Get rid of it!!! :thumbsup:

First:
Running 2 antivirus' (or firewalls) is never a good idea because they can conflict with each other. Stick with AVG.

Second:
Yes, it is a 'resource hog'.

Third:
Go into Control Panel - Add/Remove programs and get rid of it there. Make sure you uninstall all app's that have "mcafee" in it ;)

Good luck.
Shrinkwrapped - Free PC Therapy

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:11 PM

Here's some links I found on removing McAfee.
It seems to give some people trouble.
McAfee Help
Uninstalling McAfee
Uninstall McAfee
Mcafee program removal
Removing McAfee from registry
Manual removal of McAfee
McAfee VirusScan Uninstall Error
Can't uninstall McAfee Virus Scan?
Uninstalling Mcafee Virus Scan

I hope some of this, helps you in your decision.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for both posts and (to TG1911) for the links. Looks like I've got some studying to do.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:02 PM

No problem, twinsdad.

Those don't even scratch the surface.
Want to do some studing? :thumbsup:

Google search
McAfee+uninstall
Approx. 196,000 hits
search results
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users