Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 YoungBarrels

YoungBarrels

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:10 AM

My computer is running slower than usual. I think I have too many startup programs. I have been told before that I have too many, but I dont dont know which ones I need. I have been to the startup programs page on this site, but I'm not sure I know what I'm doing. For example, I have a startup file: ALCMTR.EXE (a light spyware from REALTEK The page tells me that its not needed, but if I remove it, will I be able to hear sound? Also, if I remove something like Norton AntiVirus from the startup, will I still have live protection?

If It isn't startup programs, what else could it be? Registry? I ran a registry scan and it found like 2500 problems. Is there a free registry repair program out there?

If all of this doesn't help my computer, should I consider buying more RAM?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:17 AM

Lets take it one step at a time, your startups could you list what entries are in msconfig under the startup tab? start->run->msconfig
It is wise to leave protection/security products enabled, I have ALCMTR.EXE as it comes with realteks audio package it is safe to remove from startup I have done so and still can play audio.

You shouldn't use a registry cleaner. As they can in some cases render the system useless.
RAM can boost performance on a large scale, how much RAM is in the system?

There are more ways to speeding up your system. let us know if you want to.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

See this pinned topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Startups:
Many applications like to semi-load themselves on boot so you don't have to wait later while launching them. Office suites, IM applications, and media players are often culprits. All of these, once identified, can be safely deleted from the startup process.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 YoungBarrels

YoungBarrels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

Here are the items on my start up:

ehtray
rundll32
ARPWRMSG
NvCpl
nwiz
DMAScheduler
RECGUARD
HPBootOp
Remind_XP
HPWuSchd2
tgcmd
ccApp
osCheck
NeroCheck
(empty)
SearchProtection
MSASCui
qttask
AOLSoftware
AOLDial
AOLSP Scheduler
osCheck
jusched
RTHDCPL
ALCMTR
Reader_si
ALuNotify
MNBgMonitor
SearchProtection
DesktopWeather
TeaTimer
HP Digital Imaging Monitor
SpyCatcher Protector.ink
Updates From HP
Scheduler
SpywareGuard

I have 1024 MB RAM. I have an older computer that doesn't work anymore. Could I add the memory from that computer to my newer one (if it is the same type)? Or do I need to get new memory?

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

That is a lot of startup items,

ehtray= disable
rundll32= leave alone, but expand the column beside it and look for a .exe file, what does the .exe file say?
ARPWRMSG= can be disabled if you want
DMAScheduler= can be disabled but if you are using automatic back up software should be left alone
Remind_XP= disable
tgcmd= online support for hp... user preference
qttask= disable
RTHDCPL= can be disable
Scheduler=disable

http://www.ccleaner.com/ is a good cleanup tool that should help.
You can also change the service configurations for the system using http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
defragging will be the next step http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag

Also the RAM needs to be compatible with the other system in order for it to be effective, do you know the model number of the RAM in the other system.

Edited by nigglesnush85, 12 June 2008 - 04:23 PM.

Regards,

Alan.

#6 YoungBarrels

YoungBarrels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:55 AM

ehtray= disable
rundll32= leave alone, but expand the column beside it and look for a .exe file, what does the .exe file say?
ARPWRMSG= can be disabled if you want
DMAScheduler= can be disabled but if you are using automatic back up software should be left alone
Remind_XP= disable
tgcmd= online support for hp... user preference
qttask= disable
RTHDCPL= can be disable
Scheduler=disable

I trust your advice, but what do these mean? rundll32, the next column says "rundll32.exe ftutil2.dll,SetWriteCacheMode ARPWRMSG, I would disable it, but I don't know what it is. DMAScheduler, I'm not sure if I'm using automatic back up software, but I don't think I am. tgcmd, I should probably keep this. RTHDCPL, If I do disable this, is there any serious consequences?

As for the RAM in the other PC, I know it must be compatible, my question is does it get used up? Or is it still a usable add-on to my new computer? If it's not compatible, i won't use it, but is it still good? Or should I buy new memory?

The site you recommended to "change the service". I don't know exactly what you mean.

My computer is defragmented every two weeks, but after I make some changes, I'll be sure to defragment it.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

The rundll32 is used by different programs, some are safe to stop, others are not; the column next to rundll32 will give the name of the program(s) it is starting in this case ftutil2.dll this is a RAID controller, I would leave enabled.
DMAScheduler belongs to Sonic Solutions DigitalMedia Plus Archiver, if you are not doing any backups with it then it can be removed RTHDCPL is the Realtek control pannel applet, it can be disabled, I have done so and am listening to some music now.

Basically, if you disable something that windows needs, the computer may not start, but you can boot into safe mode and re enable them.
If you turn of an item in startup, it doesn't do anything to the program other than prevent it from starting with windows, the programs can still run.

I'm not sure about your question regarding the RAM, In order for the RAM to be uesd effectively the motherboard must have the available space and the RAM should have the latency and bandwidth http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php this tool will tell you about your processor, but will also give info on your RAM. On the SPD tab look for something similar to PC- 2800 (333MHz)

The services are behind the sceenes processes that perform tasks that are mainly done in the background. If you open up task manager CTRL+ALT+DEL and look in the processes tab you will see a list of programs running... most of these can be found as services under another name. Most of the services found on a computer are not required and can be disabled. to do this click start then run and type services.msc into the box. a new window will open showing an extensive list. the site will show what is the best configuration for this list.

ehtray = Microsoft media center media manager shortcut
rundll32 = loads ftutil2.dll which is a RAID controller fast track
ARPWRMSG = Always ready power power message system
NvCpl = NVidia control panel
nwiz = NVidia Nview wizard
DMAScheduler = DigitalMedia Plus Archiver
RECGUARD = recovery partition protector
HPBootOp = HP boot optimizer
Remind_XP = SoftThinks CD Creator registration reminder
HPWuSchd2 = HP software updater
tgcmd = online support tool
ccApp = Norton (auto protect)
osCheck = Symantec operating system checker
NeroCheck = Nero writing software
(empty) = More info required
SearchProtection = Yahoo search
MSASCui = Windows defender UI
qttask = Quicktime
AOLSoftware = AOL
AOLDial = AOL
AOLSP Scheduler = AOL
osCheck = Symantec operating system checker
jusched = Java
RTHDCPL = Realtek control panel
ALCMTR = Realtec AC97
Reader_si = Adobe reader software
ALuNotify = Norton Live update feature
MNBgMonitor = Nero software
SearchProtection = Yahoo search
DesktopWeather = The Weather Channel
TeaTimer = Spybot S&D
HP Digital Imaging Monitor = HP
SpyCatcher Protector.ink = Tenebril Anti spyware
Updates From HP = updates from HP
Scheduler = A reminder product
SpywareGuard
Regards,

Alan.

#8 YoungBarrels

YoungBarrels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:18 PM

I did everything you said. It helped a little bit. I changed the service configurations of the system from blackviper.com to the "tweaked" setting, would you recommend the "safe" setting for me, or am I ok with the "tweaked"?

The RAM I had from my old computer wasn't the right type. If I buy new RAM, will it drastically improve my pc's performance?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

How much RAM is currently installed? My error, I see that you have 1GB, which should be fine for routine things.

System manufacturer and model?

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

Louis

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:59 PM

Just to play it safe, I would advise the safe setting. I would now turn off the indexing service for the system... The indexing service basically catalogs things and stores them in the memory for faster searching to disable it open up "My Computer" Right-click on C: drive and select "Properties."clear the box at the bottom that says Allow Indexing Service to... select OK, and files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 YoungBarrels

YoungBarrels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:11 AM

Thank you all for your help. It is much appreciated. My pc is running better now. Thanks!

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:11 AM

Glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users