Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Just Shuts Down.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah8503

Sarah8503

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:51 PM

I am pretty good at solving minor computer problems. If not I ask someone. But, this one I can not fix or find anyone that knows anything. I have cleaned off the fans and the inside of the computer - but my sisters computer will just shut down on her. She will be burning a cd or something and it will just shut down. Is it overheating? Or is something wrong with it. We have ran all the anti-virus checks and everyting in that nature - what could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:55 PM

You could try monitoring the temps with SpeedFan. Just be warned that SpeedFan sometimes gives erroneous results.

Also, have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the shut-downs.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:00 PM

thanks. will go and try this now!

#4 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:14 PM

this was on the event viewer as a warning

Windows saved user PERSONAL-727682\Jamie registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

It did it for my niece as well, who is the other user on this computer.

here is an error:

Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16640, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#5 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:18 PM

this is from that speedfan

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked ATI SB400 SMBUS at $0B00
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=DME1737
Scanning AtiIgp SMBus at $0B00...
DME1737 (ID=$8A) found on SMBus at $2E
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found ST3320620AS (320.1GB)
Found ACPI temperature (40.0C)
End of detection

#6 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

on the speed fan everything has a green check mark except remote and it has a little FIRE signal by it.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

I don't think either of these from the event viewer are related to the shut downs.

When the computer shuts down, does a blue error message screen briefly flash on the screen? Or does it just shut down immediately?

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message (which is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD)).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure". Make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

This will not cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you may get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem. If you get a blue diagnostic screen copy down the entire error message (including all the numbers) and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:24 PM

it does it just shut down immediately.

sometimes it does it right when she gets the to the blue screen where you log on. before she even gets to log on.

#9 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:26 PM

okay. i will do that. thanks!

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:47 PM

You might want to try cleaning the computer again, but this time pay careful attention to the heat-sinks over the processing chips to make sure they are not clogged with dust.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users