Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cdrom's Not Responding...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skypilot0077

skypilot0077

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:31 PM

My CDROM drives have stopped working suddenly. I don't use them much though it worked a few days ago. Windows see's the drive in device manager but they have small yellow circles with exclaimation points in them next to each device. The device status box says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupt or missing." The CDROM drives are a Creative CD5233E-CF and a Lite ON DVD-ROM LTD163D. I've tried to find drivers for them with no luck.

The only thing I've tried to remedy the problem is to uninstall the devices and let windows re-install them with a re-boot. It see's both drives at start up and installs them but they fail to function. The don't show up in My Computer and they continue to have the issues in device manager.

Here is system info. Any suggestions appreciated.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name BIGBOY
System Manufacturer System Manufacturer
System Model System Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~1004 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. ASUS CUV4X-C ACPI BIOS Revision 1007, 6/12/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name BIGBOY\Tommy
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 335.75 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.42 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:15 AM

Hello skypilot0077,

I found this driver for your Lite-On;

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/deta...?driverid=79064

As far as the Creative goes, not sure how you had it working in XP, when all the drivers I found for that model only supported Windows 95 and 98.
You can double check in case I missed something;

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/deta...p?driverid=9799

This is one of the replies after using this driver, "The device was automatically recognized by XP after I make the driver available to the system."

Hope this helps

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:03 AM

Just a quick note. Those aren't drivers but firmware uogrades for the chip. CD players are plug and play. Try removing them in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows redetect them. If both drives are on the same ribbon cable, it's possible the cable worked loose from the motherboard connection
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 skypilot0077

skypilot0077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:16 PM

I've finally got some time to dig into this more. I think I found something but I'm uncertain how to correct it.

Under System Information, Software Environment, System Drivers I found the CDROM.sys file has some differences compared to another computer here that has a working CDROM drive.

Most noticable were the columes labled: Started:NO, State:stopped, Accept stop:NO

On the other computer that's working: Started: YES, State: Running, Accept stop:YES

All the other columes are the same.

Also anothe file on the list, CDFS.sys had similar differences

Started:NO, State:Stopped, Start Mode:Disabled, Accept Stop:NO

On the good computer:

Started:YES, State:Running, Start Mode:System, Accept Stop:YES

All other cloumes are the same.

I have tried to uninstall from device manager and let windows reinstall and this seems to go fine but the devices are not there or usable when finished and the yellow dots are still next to the devices in the hardware list.

Any help appreciated much.

Thanks for reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users