Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD-ROM Partially working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dalcb22

dalcb22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:18 AM

A friend of mine has a computer where the CD Drive will read music CD's fine, but it will not allow her to read any CD's with computer programs. She says sometimes an installation screen will pop up, but that is it. She has tried several computer disks (all manufactured, licensed software) but none will work in it.

My main Question - If the CD Drive is "going" bad, will it read music but not other types of disks?

Will a new drive fix this problem? All the CD Drives I replaced made some horrible grinding noise to let me know they were bad.

She has already tried disc cleaners and CD-Drive Cleaners

Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:31 AM

dalcb22: It would be helpful to know more about your friends system, i.e, make and model of computer and the operating system. Please post back with that info, more detail is better than less.

If the OS is W98 (and perhaps others, but I'm only familiar with 98) here's something to try before you post back:

Open the CD tray and drop-in one of the data-type discs that you mentioned and hold down the "shift" key while closing the tray. Pressing the "shift" key will temporarily disable the AutoRun feature so nothing will happen until you tell it to.

Then go to Start>Programs>Windows Explorer ( not Internet Exporer). When you click on WE, you'll get a slender top-to-bottom window on the left side showing your folders and devices. Find and click on the one that represents the CD unit (mine is designated "E" and shows a little icon that looks like a CD unit, yours may be different). After you click, you should hear the CD unit begin to spin and shortly thereafter the larger screen to the right of the one you clicked in should display the contents of the disc you inserted. When you post back, tell us about the disc you inserted and if what you saw on the screen seems to correlate with the disc. FYI, this is a good way to safely discover the contents of any unmarked disc, or to pick-off and install just a portion of a disc. .
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#3 dalcb22

dalcb22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:44 PM

The Computer is a Dell w/ Windows XP Home.

Although the computer is not here, she said the files and folders appear to be there, when she navigates through explorer.

I'm just trying to figure out if it is a HW or SW problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users