Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Chat Malfunction. Please Help...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Serilda

Serilda

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

I've searched all over the internet for a solution to this strange problem. It's a long explanation, so here goes...

I used to always chat online via video chat using my AIM 6 instant messaging application with my friend who uses ichat on their mac. Strangely though, when we recently went home for summer break (college students, around each other everyday and had no need for vid chat for 9 months) suddenly the connection no longer works.
So I fiddle with AIM6 video settings. I make sure that the camera is installed, recognized by aim, and selected as the main means of video. My friend uses ichat and has an isight camera installed in their mac so it most certainly should be working.
So then I video chat with someone using a pc and also on aim to make sure my camera is working. The video connected instantly though there was a problem with sound. However, I've dwelt with that before and it's not a big deal, or so I assume. Then I vid chat with a different friend who was using ichat, and video and sound worked fine.
My ichat friend was able to video chat with their sibling who was using a pc and AIM without problems as well. So that seems something very strange.
So I set out to find the solution on the internet and in forums. There were several hundred people with similar problems so I figured I'd have this fixed in a jiffy. All problems on the web seemed to have the same solution. Change the firewall settings! Seemed easy enough.
So with firewall settings in accordance to what fixed all other people's problems I tried to initiate vid chat with my friend again and....nothing. It said the same old thing, and they are as follows:

---While I (AIM 6.5) initiates vid chat what happens is: (my perspective) my video chat window comes up and it says, "Waiting for Buddy Response" And then nothing happens. It continues to wait. (ichat user's perspective) The normal window comes up to enable ichat video conference but in less than a minute my ichat friend informs me that an error message was received on their end saying, "ichat encountered errors while communicating with participants during the chat".

---While my friend (ichat) initiates vid chat what happens is: (my perspective) The light on my camera comes on but no window pops up and in less than a minute I receive an error message that says, "invent or request timed out." (ichat user's perspective) Same as above except that the error message instead says, "chat failed to start because [ichat user's name] did not respond."

I'm about to go bonkers over this! I really don't know what else I can do. I've changed my firewall settings and both my friend and I have succesfully video chatted with other people using these same programs.

My OS is Windows XP home edition. I'm using a wireless DSL connection. I'm using a GE MiniCam Pro HO98067 with a USB connection on my Dell Inspiron Notebook.
My ichat friend's OS is Tiger 10.4.11. They're using a Cable internet connection. They're using an isight camera preinstalled in their MacBook Pro.

If anyone has any suggestions please, I'll take any help I can get. Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users