Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Os Unable To Start And Space On New Hd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tanz

tanz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

OK, I would first like to thank in advance anyone who would like to help me, you guys / girls who help others out of the goodness of your own heart are a blessing and I feel don't get enough thanks.....

Here are my problems, I am unable to boot up my computer, I am running XP and when turning on the computer it brings me the screen which gives me options to how to boot up my computer including safe mode and previously good startup. I have had no luck trying to start the OS using any option. So I replaced the hard drive and used the recovery disks to reinstall the system, that worked fine except the computer only shows about 20 GB when the HD size is over 100 GB. SO as you see I have two problems. The origonal HD, I am able to access it thru a USB cable and hardware, any ideas how to diagnose and repair the problem?

I thank you in advance once again.

Tanz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:03 PM

Well...what makes you think you have a problem :thumbsup:?

If you used restore disks (I don't have any, but I expect that it works this way), then your original boot partition should have been recreated.

No restore disk can possibly be created with the intent of creating any partition larger than that originally on the system drive.

So, my question: How large was your initial system drive?

If my premise is correct, Disk Management should reflect something less than 80GB of unallocated space on that 100GB hard drive. You can partition that using Disk Management, creating whatever partitions you want.

Louis

#3 tanz

tanz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the up, I have found and ran Disk Management, it reflects a 149.05GB drive, 7.81GB NTFS for the C drive, and 141.23 GB Unallocated. I tried playing around with the options for the past hour and have not been able to accomplish my goal of adding this 141Gig of space to the C drive. Is this possible? I'll work on getting the old hard drive repaired later, or just move the data from it. I'm guessing if this is not possible I guess I could try installing windows XP from scratch without the recovery disks and see what happens.

Thanks in advance,

Tanz

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

The only way that you can run XP and use Disk Management to increase the size of a current partition...is to use a 3d-party program., such as Partition Magic. PM (and programs like it) allows users to change the size and create new partitions...without deleting old partitions, programs installed and data on said partitions.

I believe that Vista is a bit different, FWIW.

As for accessing and removing data from the original hard drive...that should be simply a matter of moving, cut & paste, etc., from one drive to another. Right now, you may not have sufficient partition space created on the new drive...but once that is corrected, it's a simple task.

I've never used this (I've had PM since my Win 95 days), but you might want to take a look at GParted Partition Manager - http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:36 PM

Why not just format the other partition and leave the smaller partition for the OS. In the Disk Management you should be able to right click on the second partition and choose the option to format it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 tanz

tanz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

Thanks to all,

The left over space on the C drive was less then a gig after using the recovery disks and deleting useless software and updating XP. I used Partition Magic and it worked like a charm! I have more room on the C drive then I'll ever use.... (havn't we all said that before LOL) I've been reinstalling programs and data from the old hard drive. Not the most fun I've ever had but it could be worse.

Thanks again

Tanzi

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

Sounds good, feedback appreciated...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users