Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtumonde and possibly others

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maurilax

maurilax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

I am having the same problem as the original poster. After doing a bit of research (on another computer) I have found the virtumundo.dll virus although I suspect that it is a small piece to a bigger problem. I am in the process of using spybot S+D to remove it as well i have tried vundofix and virtumundobegone. Using spybot in safe mode says it gets rid of it but when I go back to normal mode it has come back at least once

My symptoms are the same as the original poster. Firefox and IE both load google.com home page but hang forever when trying to search

yahoo.com loads the dns name in the title bar but then hangs and says 'waiting'. sometimes I get random popup adds for malware stuff that is quite obviously fake and whenever i close firefox I get a memory error

hopefully someone out there knows exactly what is going on

I am using Windows XP SP2 Firefox 2 and IE7 Mcafee virus protection and firewall have been on the whole time

edit:Fixed some spelling and added operating system

Edited by maurilax, 05 June 2008 - 01:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

Hello maurilax and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

I have split your post from the original topic it was in to its own thread so it can get the attention it deserves.

Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues and if there are any changes.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 maurilax

maurilax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

problem was solved using a lot of differnet information from this site and others concerning virtumundo

virtumundobegone helped. also having spyware S+D and mcaffee installed did not stop me from reinfecting a sandbox computer with this virus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users