Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus Overkill

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ttttedttt

ttttedttt

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:18 PM

Hello everyone,

Currently, do to some unwanted trojans, I have downloaded and tried several programs to remove them.. I'm still in the process and almost done. There is obviously no need for me to have so many anti-virus/spyware programs so...

I was wondering if you could help me decide what programs to remove and what to keep...(also any "new/different" ones I should download that may be better)
Also, what firewall should I install???

Please keep in mind that I am cheap and don't want to pay for any programs.... (College Student) so freeware would be nice!

Here are the current programs I am using
-Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
-AVG Free 8.0
-Ad-aware 2008
-Spybot Search and Destroy
-Windows Defender
-Spyware Doctor (not registered and not going to pay for it) *probably gonna just get rid of this one

I'm not really using any specific firewall and thats probably the reason for my computer problems so I'm going to install one for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tico

Tico

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

List looks fine, I would add SuperAntiSpyware to the list.

The only one that is real time is AVG and windows defender will run automatically so just be sure to update and run the other ones periodically..

#3 rubberToe

rubberToe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

Dump Ad-Aware, especially if it is the 2008 version. Malwarebytes and SB should be sufficient on their own. Windows Defender is fine since it is an active scanner unless you have the paid version of Malwarebytes which adds active monitoring.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

Here's what works for me with no conflicts whatsoever. My OS is AMD Athlon 2400+ 1GB Ram using Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and up to date. All of my security below is freeware.

Firewall = Comodo Firewall Pro v3.0.25.378
Avira Antivir Antivirus ( I used to have AVG AV but find this one is better).
Comodo BoClean.
Spyware Blaster.

The above are all used as real time protection and kept up to date.

For malware removal I rotate the following two programs on a manual basis and up date them on a weekly basis as I use them;
(1) Superantispyware.
(2) AVG Antispyware.

I used to have Spybot S&D and AdAware v8 installed also but they never ever found anything on my PC probably as my PC is very clean but nonetheless no1 above usually finds 5-6 tracking cookies on it's bi weekly scan while no2 usually finds 3-4 tracking cookies. Since using the mentioned security I have never found anything other than the mentioned tracking cookies.

I use Firefox as my main browser with Adblock Plus and NoScripts as addons. I only ever use IE for Windows Updates and my Hotmail account.

I also use the Autoruns program in conjunction with the Bleeping Computer start up list to keep my start up programs trim and tidy.

Another useful program I have which although not security related I find very good for keeping everything up to date is File Hippos Update Checker which is a nifty little program which scans your PC and lets you know of any updates available and a link to the downloads.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users