Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp/File system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:28 AM

I am sure one of your members will know the answer to this.I can't find any reference to it in KB.
I am about to take delivery of a new computer loaded with XP Home with SP2.
In XP Home is there a choice of filing systems.IE Fat32 or NTFS.
Thanks and Regards.
Philip Brampton.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:57 AM

yes there is both Filing systems in Windows XP Home Most likely it will come with NTFS

#3 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:59 AM

Thanks.I am most Grateful

#4 maretedkatie

maretedkatie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:35 AM

Fat 32 is limited to 2GB file sizes. NTFS in 2000 and xp can have file sizes unlimited. Good for video work. You can translate a pre-existing format hard drive from FAT32 or FAT to NTFS
CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS

typing this in an MDOS prompt. There is no risk. It will either do it if it can or do nothing. this is what I used when I upgraded to XP pro from 98.

ted
articles on video also at my web
http://www.dvdhomevideoeditor.com

#5 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:42 AM

You must use the FAT filing system if you have any of the following requirements:
  • You dual boot with any Operating System other than Windows 2000 or NT (note: NT version 3.x or 4.x cannot read FAT32 volumes, only FAT16).
  • You want to be able to access the volumes using any Operating System other than Windows XP, 2000 or NT. In other words, if you want to be able to use a DOS or Windows 9x*Grinler boot diskette to boot the machine and access the volumes.
    You are formatting a floppy disk.
  • You may decide later that you want to dual boot. You can convert a FAT volume to NTFS, but not vice-versa: it's a one-way conversion.
You must use the NTFS filing system if you have any of the following requirements:
  • You want to be able to encrypt files so that only a certain user can access them.
  • You want to use fault tolerant disk configurations such as RAID 5 or mirroring.
  • You want to assign permissions to files, specifying which users or groups have access to which files and folders.
  • You want to store files larger than 4 GB.
  • You want to format partitions larger than 32 GB.
  • You want to audit files for access by certain users or groups.
  • You do not want the files to be accessed by someone using a boot disk.
  • You need a more robust filing system that is less prone to errors or corruption.

#6 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:13 PM

Thanks again to all,that was extremely helpful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users