Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Off Or On?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

Not sure if this is the right place for this very basic question: Do I turn off the computer when I'm finished, or leave it on...all day, all night? either, or? Is room temperature a consideration (very warm in the summer)? my tendency is to shut it down every time I leave the house. Or should I shut the monitor off every time I am finished?
Thank you
Sharon
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

If you are finished with the system, you should turn it off completely. This reduces your power bill and when the system is powered off the systems RAM is emptied which leads to minor performance gains when you start the system up again.

What sort of temperature do you mean?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 lawalker

lawalker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

If you're hooked up to the net, despite firewalls and all those protective programs, I'd turn it off when you're not using it...there's plenty of bots looking for info on live, unsuspecting computers.

There used to be a discussion on the wear and tear on the hardware switches...but I believe you're in more danger by leaving the pc on 24/7. Heat is always an issue, anyway. And if your monitor doesn't automatically turn off when the PC is off, turn it off, too. Save your energy.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

I have to agree, and turn my computer off whenever I will not be using it for over 30 minutes at work or at home. We all need to save energy, and computers and monitors can use more than you think. When you turn off your computer, it resets itself; this certainly increases performance and reduces the drag on your computer from memory leaks.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

Poifect!! Thanks!!
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:55 PM

Glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users