Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Xp Hard Disk Partition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

I am re arranging my hard disk. I got a new external 80 G one. I would like to know if deleting the current internal hard disk partition, is there any danger to loose informations or is just a simple movement. This, because the cause of re arrangement is lack of space and if I dlete the partition I will be able to work more easy with the transferring, uninstalling and reintsalling programs in the external one. Many thanks and greetings
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:16 AM

Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Would I be correct in saying that you would like to delete a partition on the hard drive inside your computer?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:34 AM

Yes, my friend. Thanks

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:43 AM

You must take care to move any programs or files that you want to save to the external before re-formatting or deleting any partition on your internal drive. Failure to do so will cause you not to be able to access this data once you delete it. If you have 2 partitions on your internal right now, you can move any programs from the partition that does not hold your O/S and probably delete it or re-format. You will not be able to do this on the partition that holds the O/S (Windows XP) until you decide to re-install XP on a clean installation.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

Many thanks. Actually I will move all my D that doesn't include OS, to the external, and, then, I will delete the partition to give good space to C. Is, in that moment, any danger to dammage the OS and Microsoft Office Applications and others that always remain or install in C? That, actually, is my specific question.
Many thanks and greetings

You must take care to move any programs or files that you want to save to the external before re-formatting or deleting any partition on your internal drive. Failure to do so will cause you not to be able to access this data once you delete it. If you have 2 partitions on your internal right now, you can move any programs from the partition that does not hold your O/S and probably delete it or re-format. You will not be able to do this on the partition that holds the O/S (Windows XP) until you decide to re-install XP on a clean installation.

#6 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:32 PM

As a matter of facts, is it possible, as one of my son says, to copy the whole D, as photograph, to D, maintaining the function of it? I mean, to avoid uninstall and install.

Sorry for my ignorancy.

Many thanks

Many thanks. Actually I will move all my D that doesn't include OS, to the external, and, then, I will delete the partition to give good space to C. Is, in that moment, any danger to dammage the OS and Microsoft Office Applications and others that always remain or install in C? That, actually, is my specific question.
Many thanks and greetings

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

With the proper software...you could just make a disk image of your C: partition and save it...then restore that C: partition and all its contents...to a newly created partition.

But I fear that this is much too complicated for you to attempt.

Louis

#8 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

I am concerned with internal D, because this has all the applications with the exception of Microsoft, Google Talk and others that always unavoidably go to C. My desire is to have the applications in the external one, and this is because I wanted to know if I can or cannot copy D to F, just by "copying" as a photo. Instead of uninstalling and installing again. This also because I have in D, let us say "funny" folders that installed a "flea brained" friend that I am afraid to delete and spoil the PC. Also I have lost many executable files to re install some applicactions I currently use. Many thanks for any help.

With the proper software...you could just make a disk image of your C: partition and save it...then restore that C: partition and all its contents...to a newly created partition.

But I fear that this is much too complicated for you to attempt.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users