Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start In Safe Mode, Can't Run Dss, Hjt

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dpzi

dpzi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:18 AM

I'm running Windows XP pro and am quite sure I have an infection.
ZoneAlarm will not run; any type of malware scanner will not run as well with invalid win32 message errors.
I'm okay with reformatting the drive but would like to know if there is a way of safely retrieving data (mainly photos, Firefox bookmarks, Thunderbird e-mail settings/messages) from the infected HD and another HD in the computer.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:38 AM

When you boot to safe mode, do you get any error messages?

If not try Safe mode with Networking instead as mine sometimes works this way.

Hope this helps,
Cornzey

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

#3 dpzi

dpzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:19 AM

Thanks cornzey but I'm not able to boot into any of the 3 safe mode options. When I try to, the system goes through a normal boot. I believe the malware is preventing me from going into safe mode.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

we could repair safe mode boot but with a bad infection you might even lose normal mode booting

the safest way to retrieve your info is with another computer very carefully and scan everything
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 dpzi

dpzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:30 PM

Hi Chewy,
I'd like to copy files that I want to save from the infected C: drive to the storage drive in the same infected computer, remove the storage drive and then reformat the C: and do a clean windows install.
Then I'd like to check for malware on the storage drive by connecting to my old, uninfected computer. I'm not sure about the best way of going about it to minimize infecting the old computer and how I should scan the storage drive. I currently don't have any antivirus software on the old computer.

Thanks!

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

This requires a real windows disk, run a repair install of windows, do the transfer/backup.

All this is while you are physically disconnected from the internet

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

without a real xp disk, you have to work 10 times harder and slave the C drive into a working computer and then try a lot of tricks to save things that at this point are relatively frivolous

Firefox bookmarks, Thunderbird e-mail settings/messages)

I can see the messages but not the rest

Edited by DaChew, 11 June 2008 - 04:10 PM.

Chewy

#7 dpzi

dpzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Chewy,

I have the XP install disk. The infected computer has been disconnected from internet since I noticed the prob.
Should I run the windows repair install after I try copying some files from the main drive to storage drive?
And why attempt a repair install if I plan to do a clean install? Sorry if it's an obvious answer but I'm new to these problems.

The files I'd like to transfer to the storage drive include my thunderbird email messages as I mentioned and some photos that I haven't archived on the storage drive yet.

What do you recommend I put on my old system to scan the storage drive once I connect it? This may be a dumb question but can malware spread to an uninfected computer as soon as I connect a possibly infected hard drive?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

run the repair disk, then transfer what antimalware remedies you can and finish killing as much of the infection as you can

you can transfer the thunderbird folder en masse and use it to rewrite over the new one or do a manual backup of the email folders

It's best to not rely on one backup but to have 2 or more options

Having lost my email addresses and correspondence twice already in the last several years, I use web mail and pop3 now

as long as you don't execute an infected file on the old drive you should be OK, I would use an online scanner and a good AV scanner also

Common sense is your best advisor here

Edited by DaChew, 11 June 2008 - 05:22 PM.

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users