Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need A High Quality Video Converter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 J-son

J-son

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:45 PM

Well I have this awesome high quality trailer from Hellgate:London and its in avi format. I want to set it as my desktop background (im using Vista) but I have to change it from avi to either mpg or wmv.

So my first question is whether I can get a better quality conversion from avi to mpg or wmv? Size isn't important, I have plenty of space. The original avi file is 56.6 mb.

Second, what converter should I use? I want to do this with as little quality loss as possible. I'm not sure, but I think the avi trailer is in HD and it would be an excellent background.

I've googled but the first thing i've tried was PRISM video converter, and it did the conversion in under a minute and its terrible. The movie looks like it went from 1280x1024 resolution to 320x240 resolution, and audio is horrendous.

I was just wondering if you guys know of any quality converters before I try any other garbage I downloaded randomly from the internet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

Hi J-son.
I use WinAVI Video Converter on XP and it does a great job with virtually no loss in quality. It is not free however ($30.00).
There is a trial version with "limitations" though I don't know what those limitations are. Could be file size, output quality or burner (which I don't use anyway) limitations. Doesn't say vista compatable either but can't hurt to try.

#3 J-son

J-son
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:28 PM

Thanks, it seems to be pretty good.

It looks like it cut my volume in half, but I don't have the volume on when I'm using dreamscene so It will do fine.

When I first loaded it, it said "The application has detected that the following engines have not been installed or installed incorrectly on your system: QuickTime Alternative"

I uninstalled quicktime and downloaded and instaled quicktime alternative but I still get the message. It still lets me use the program, but I was just curious.

#4 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:01 PM

Use something free. You might get waaaaay more functions than you really need, but better to be prepared :flowers: They are absolutely the best I have never complained of the results from their conversion.
Try SUPER or MediaCoder. They convert virtually anything. I personally use SUPER because I found that MediaCoder didn't have as much customization, but both are great :thumbsup:

Edited by skyfuser, 20 June 2008 - 01:02 PM.

"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users