Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bizarrechaos

bizarrechaos

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:36 PM

a couple months ago i was dual booting ubuntu and xp
ubuntu was on an external hardrive, the HD crashed I bought a new one and had to repair my MBR in recovery console
I have been trying many times to reinstall ubuntu on the new HD, it installs but i get no grub loads straight to xp
anyone know why??

Help greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rodneyaltam

rodneyaltam

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:20 PM

Hi! I would like to know the procedures you did in installing Ubuntu? What OS was installed first, XP or Ubuntu? Coz to be able to dual boot the best and easy way is to install XP first before installing Ubuntu. The reason is to prevent XP overwriting MBR and destroying the Boot manager of Ubuntu. Ubuntu by default doesn't overwrite the MBR, only windows.

#3 bizarrechaos

bizarrechaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:04 PM

yes xp was already installed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users