Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pumpkin86

pumpkin86

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

when i turn on my computer, it shows a black page that says error loading operting system. what does this mean and how do i fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

Is that all it says on the page?

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 pumpkin86

pumpkin86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:20 PM

yes

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

Try this. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 pumpkin86

pumpkin86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

i dont have the cdrom at the moment, is there anything i can do without it?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:57 PM

Can you get into Safe Mode?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

If you can get to the Safe Mode menu, select the option "Last Known Good Configuration".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 pumpkin86

pumpkin86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:16 AM

i tried that it dont work it goes to the a black screen that says error loading operating system

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:00 AM

You may be able to create your own Recovery Console disk. If you search on the internet you should be able to locate the rc.iso file and download it. If you burn this to a CD, as an .iso, you can use that CD to boot your computer and run chkdsk.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 pumpkin86

pumpkin86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:40 AM

could it be that my hard drive is messed up?

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:50 AM

could it be that my hard drive is messed up?

Yes, it could be. You can check the status of your hard drive by going to the website of the drive's manufacturer and downloading their diagnostic test.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 pumpkin86

pumpkin86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:57 PM

i cant go to any websites to check my hard drive cause right when i turn my computer on it goes right to a black screen that says error loading operating system

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

Use...someone else's...system to download.

If you don't know anyone else with a system, that's a problem.

Louis

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

If you know the make and model of your computer, or the manufacturer of your hard drive, post back and we'll try and find the diagnostic for you. It will create a bootable CD that you can use to boot the problem computer and run the hard drive test.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

You can download a recovery console ISO from here: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
You'll need an ISO burner in order to burn the ISO to a CD and make it bootable.

Once you've run chkdsk /r as Budapest has suggested, also run:
"fixmbr" and "fixboot" (without the quotes).

If you continue to get the exact same error after this, then I'd suggest you download a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive and test it thoroughly.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users