Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"operating System Not Found" Even With New Hard Drive!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 amo1976

amo1976

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:39 PM

I just inherited a Compaq EVO N115 and within a week I got the hard drive click of death and "Operating System Not Found." so I ordered a new hard drive, same as the old one (IBM TravelStar 10GB.) I got it today, put it in my computer, and there is no click, but I get the same message! Am I missing something really obvious like having to initialize it or something? Help! And thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

Did the hard disk had an OS?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:54 PM

You will need to install Windows XP onto the new hard drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

"Operating system not found" is sometimes just an indication that the system is trying to boot from the wrong source/location.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321626

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

A new hard drive typically comes with nothing installed on it. So you'd have to use your recovery disks to reinstall the operating system on this Compaq computer. If this is the case, then the "Operating System not found" message makes sense.

If the operating system is already installed, then there's some difficulty with the system recognizing the disk. The first thing to check would be the connections and the jumper on the drive (to ensure it's set the same as the old drive). If the computer can't recognize the MBR (Master Boot Record), then it can't locate the Boot Sector for the hard drive and won't be able to load Windows.

There's many steps to look at for the stuff in the second paragraph, so please let us know which situation we're dealing with and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 amo1976

amo1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:47 PM

Thanks, guys--I don't imagine it came with anything on it as I ordered it from overstock.com. I don't have recovery disks--the place i work was getting rid of their old stuff and they didn't provide them. Guess I'll have to get my hands on some...

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

If you contact the manufacturer of your computer they may send you a set of disks for a nominal fee.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users