Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Control Panel Is Missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ddrams512

ddrams512

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

Hello,
Can you pls help me access my control panel? It is not even on my start menu. I have WinXP. I have gone into several topics and followed some of the steps to try to retrieve but I had not luck. I can post any reports b/c I can not open HIJACK and I was unable to open DSS. I must say I am so not computer savy. Any help you can provide is greatly appeciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

I would try downloading and running the Remove Restrictions Tool.

Edited by Budapest, 10 June 2008 - 05:40 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ddrams512

ddrams512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for your help. The 1st response has given me 2 different things to download but neither work. It keeps adding to the problem because now I have pop-ups. The 2nd response was to down load RRT. I downloaded and it said everything was disabled. Unfortunately, I have not idea what to do next. Was the Control Panel suppose to appear after I downloaded?

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:28 PM

Hello.

Click on Start, then, Run. Type in "control.exe" and hit OK .

What happens? Do you get an access denied, file cannot be accessed or a similar message?

With Regards,
The Panda

Edited by PropagandaPanda, 10 June 2008 - 05:28 PM.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:28 PM

If you're getting pop-ups, then you've got yourself a malware infection. You need to deal with the malware before worrying about the Control Panel. Have you done any scans?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 ddrams512

ddrams512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

Hey,
to answer both ?'s - control panel issue message says " This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Pls contact your system adminstration". This is my home computer. I would be the administrator right?

Regarding the pop-up, I have tried several scans. I particular went to the "read this 1st" to try to run the different scans on the blog but none of them worked for me. I tried to run HIJACK this but I can't even open it to see any logs. I have not idea where to start.......Can I be helped?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:01 PM

Try running a full system scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users