Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logon Screen Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 akex

akex

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

Hi all
Got another one for you. Since I installed a new mobo a couple of days ago, I've got this wierd glich whereby I can't log on in one smooth process, I'll try and descrbe it accurately for you.
I start the computer uo and it goes through 'post'
Next up is the Windows XP screen with the blue progress bar.
After that should be the logon screen but instead, I'm just getting a plain black screen.
To log on, I have to push the front button on the PC to sent it to stand by, wait until the light on my monitor dims to tell me it is standing by then push the button again to turn it on. My monitor (CRT) then clicks as it should and the log on screen appears and after I've logged on, everything is ticketyboo, works great...Any idea's anyone..?

Regards
Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

Based on what's provided...I would have to guess PS.

What's the rated output of your current PS?

Do you still have your old motherboard? Any such problem with it? Same hardware installed?

Louis

#3 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

Hello again Louis

The PS is a bog standard unit I think and from what I can read on it the, max amps = 25A and max watts are = 218W
I still have the old mobo and I think that the problem is there staring at me. It had an onboard ATI Radeon Xpress graphics interface where this new GeForce 6100PM-M2 mobo has a PCI Express x16 slot which supports a high resolution graphics card, which I don't have (at the moment anyway)
Apart from the networking problems I had with the old board, it booted up normally and never gave me this particular niggle. It's the same Ps but with the different hardware that came with the new mobo so perhaps we are looking atgraphics card..? What do you reckon..

Regards

Alex

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:44 PM

I still say...PS.

The fact that your video does work, after a delay, says "PS" to me.

But I've been wrong before :thumbsup:.

I think I'd borrow someone's system...temporarily switch the PS from one to another...and see what happens. It takes about 5 minutes to disconnect/reconnect a PS on a system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2008 - 02:47 PM.

#5 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:30 PM

Yep, I'll certainly give it a go. I'll get my mate to bring his all-singing all dancing unit round tomorrow and swop em over to see what happens.
Cheers Louis, I'll certainly let you know the outcome.
regards
Alex

#6 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:37 AM

Hello all
This little problem is sorted now and thanks for your help.
It appears that it was the monitor not sensing the switch in graphics when Windows loads, either through the monitor itself or as I suspect a faulty cable although there were no broken pins as I could see.
I've got an old monitor here gathering dust and spiders, so I dusted it off, plugged it in and the problem had gone, everything loads normally again.
Thanks for the info.

Regards
Alex

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:30 AM

Feedback appreciated, Alex...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users