Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Do Routers Get Clogged Up?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:11 PM

So, I had a Linksys router for several years that never, to the best of my recall, gave me any trouble. I switched to an Apple Airport so that I could stream iTunes. It works fine, except that every month or so, it slows down and eventually goes down. I have to unplug it and the modem, let them rest for a minute or so, and then start them up again. What causes this? Do they just get to clogged up? Is there maintenance I can do regularly to prevent this? It always happens at the most inopportune time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:21 PM

Routers do not get 'clogged up', and there is no maintenance to be done. Have you contacted your ISP to verify that there are no line problems? It is also possible that your ISP is throttling your bandwidth, which would cause it to slow down.

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

What is "throttling the bandwidth?"

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

Some ISPs restrict download speeds after a user exceeds a certain amount of bandwidth; Or the place that you are downloading from may be restricting your downloads if you have used their service too much (since they are paying for bandwidth).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users