Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Arranging A New Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hi everybody! I have my internal hard disk, partitioned. It's already full and giving me troubles of space. I got a new external 80G one. Could, someone, tell me, shortly, how can I proceed, before asking for the presence of a technician, for momentarilly transferring my programs and applications issues that are in D to the external one, and then finnishing the partition for leaving in the internal one just the operating system? The trouble, is of course, not essentially with applicactions that can be installed again. But I do not want to loose my huge bookmarks list (Mozilla), addresses (Outlook 2003), messages rules, etc., etc. I have already sucessfully transferred my documents, pictures and so on, but I am very concerned with not spoiling my Mozilla, Outlook 2003, etc., settings. As a matter of facts making my hard disks not so full, will I have and improvement in speed and the end of "hanging" when using, for example, MSN, permanency of windows as black square spots when already closed? I am resisting to buy a new PC, because my investment priorities are other ones. My PC has 256 RAM; Pentium III/700, XP Pro. Is clean and used just by myself but a little "spontaneously" disordered. Obvioulsy that when I success in transferring I will give new format to the internal hard disk. Many thanks and forgive me for the large message. Greetings for everybody

Edited by merellogalasso, 10 June 2008 - 11:44 AM.

"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:02 PM

There's a lot of things that you can do to improve the performance of the system.
I use the Foxmarks extension on Firefox to save my bookmarks online - and it syncs with the copy on my computers.
The Outlook data will have to be exported and then re-imported once you're done. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

But, the critical factor here appears to be that you only have 256 mB of RAM. 512 mB is considered the minimum by most folks these days, with 1 gB being the most recommended. With 256 mB of RAm you'll be constantly faced with performance problems that can't be easily overcome.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:48 PM

Many thanks. I didn't know Foxmarks, could you believe it? I will download it at once. I think that I will try to perform the task you give me. What about the messages rules? Also, if I build a new PC I have in mind to increase the RAM. Many thanks and kind regards

#4 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:57 PM

I cannot install foxmarks. It appears a message saying that the folder didn't permit it. What to do?
Thakns

There's a lot of things that you can do to improve the performance of the system.
I use the Foxmarks extension on Firefox to save my bookmarks online - and it syncs with the copy on my computers.
The Outlook data will have to be exported and then re-imported once you're done. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

But, the critical factor here appears to be that you only have 256 mB of RAM. 512 mB is considered the minimum by most folks these days, with 1 gB being the most recommended. With 256 mB of RAm you'll be constantly faced with performance problems that can't be easily overcome.

#5 eLenka

eLenka

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:24 PM

256 Mb RAM it is not enough for normal working today, but SDRAM memory is very hard to find...

Edited by eLenka, 10 June 2008 - 05:06 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

If you are interested...I have some PC133 memory sitting around which I will be happy to mail to you. I don't foresee a use for it ever again by me :thumbsup:.

I have 4 modules, 2 x 128 and (I believe) 2 x 512.

If interested, send me a PM giving me a mailing address.

Louis

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

If you are interested...I have some PC133 memory sitting around which I will be happy to mail to you. I don't foresee a use for it ever again by me :thumbsup:.

Louis

Louis, if I recall correctly He's from the Netherlands
Nice gesture, though

Edited by garmanma, 10 June 2008 - 05:41 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:51 AM

I want to distinguish here the high kindness of hamluis. I have gotten in touch with him at this purpose, but I want to thank him(her) publically in this most excelent forum. I am really very happy to participate in a "place" as this, where there are so many kind and excellently well informed people. Thanks, many thanks, to everybody. :thumbsup: :flowers:

If you are interested...I have some PC133 memory sitting around which I will be happy to mail to you. I don't foresee a use for it ever again by me :trumpet:.

Louis

#9 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

Sorry fo the "her". I realize that he is Louis. Great Louis indeed.

I want to distinguish here the high kindness of hamluis. I have gotten in touch with him at this purpose, but I want to thank him(her) publically in this most excelent forum. I am really very happy to participate in a "place" as this, where there are so many kind and excellently well informed people. Thanks, many thanks, to everybody. :thumbsup: :flowers:

If you are interested...I have some PC133 memory sitting around which I will be happy to mail to you. I don't foresee a use for it ever again by me :trumpet:.

Louis

#10 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

I cannot install foxmarks. It appears a message saying that the folder didn't permit it. What to do?
It seems obviously that it has to be installed in the hard disk where Mozilla is (I am getting deteriorated...) Thanks and friendly regards

Many thanks. I didn't know Foxmarks, could you believe it? I will download it at once. I think that I will try to perform the task you give me. What about the messages rules? Also, if I build a new PC I have in mind to increase the RAM. Many thanks and kind regards

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

Did you let it install to the extensions folder in your Mozilla installation?
Here's a link to some suggestions: http://wiki.foxmarks.com/wiki/Foxmarks:_Fr...rror_message.21

And here's a link to the main wiki: http://wiki.foxmarks.com/wiki/Foxmarks:_Fr...Asked_Questions
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

Yes, usasma, I deleted three Mozilla eventually corrupted files (according to internet advices) and the program or addon, got installed inmediately. I intend that if I uninstall Mozilla from C, for installing it in the external F, my bookmarks will remain in Foxmarks and just by synchronizing I will get them again inside Mozilla, isn't it? I have doubts with respect of if, instead of that, I can or cannot just copy the internal D as a total (where I have many, many applicactions.some of them without executable files in my power), for only after that, unfragment the internal for giving the current C all the 20 G space of the internal PC hard disk (that currently is occupied by D). Inside C, now, is the operative system and some programs as Microsoft Office, Google Talk, MSN, etc., that are impossible to address their installation to other hard disk destination. It doesn't appear the possibility to choose. As for final formatting, I will pretend to do it under the supervision of a technician (if I can find one here around that might have expertise plus some honesty and intelligence, without behaving in a hurry, deleting everything as was my last experience with a friend!!!; immagine an enemy...).
In summary: my current big operating trouble is that the C part of my hard disk is practically at the limit of filling (believe me that I do not know how and with what), and this gives me constant troubles when operating. Then, that eventual final formatting can wait a little, but I would wish to make space by transferring soon my applications (in D) to the external F. But, as already said, there are several folders in D, according to the crazy arrangement that made my friend, that I am affraid to delete or even to move. My son inists that it is possible to just copy the entire D by just "copy" and "past". I doubt it.

Sorry for this so long message. Many thanks and most friendly greetings

Edited by merellogalasso, 12 June 2008 - 09:28 AM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

Yes, Foxmarks stores your bookmarks on their website (you can go to http://www.foxmarks.com to see them) - so all you'll have to do is synchronize them in order to get them to work.

Use this free program to see what's on the C: drive: http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoe...n/sequoiaview//

Let us know what the largest folders are along with approximate sizes. From there we'll be able to make some suggestions for your C: drive.

#14 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

Thanks. I will try to transcribe them screen to screen with both application minimized. Messengers from BC are arriving in couples... Greetigs

Edited by merellogalasso, 12 June 2008 - 12:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users