Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues With Ie 5 In Me

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 G_Eris

G_Eris

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

I'm helping a friend who's having an issue on his old Dell comp with Windows ME. When he tries to start internet explorer 5 he gets a message saying an error has been caused in shell32.dll If I download a new shell32.dll off the net and copy and paste it over his old corrupted version, will that be enough to fix it or do I need to put Firefox on his comp just to access the net?There doesn't seem to be a former IE version to uninstall to. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

There doesn't seem to be a former IE version to uninstall to

Where did he try to uninstall IE?

It's been years since I've been into Windows 98 or Me, but it seems to me that one could go to add/remove, and click to remove IE, or it might be in components. It sounds scary to chose remove, but I believe that after clicking remove an option comes up to remove or repair. Then choose repair. If the installation files are still on the computer, it shouldn't ask for a disk with IE. If he's asked about replacing files, say yes.

Another method to try if he has a copy of IE is to try reinstalling it over IE, and saying yes when Windows asks if he wants to replace the existing files. If he doesn't have a copy of IE since he can't get online right now, there's a good chance he might be able to find one included in any software program disks he might have, ie for a modem. If he finds one by exploring any cd's he has, he can just copy the IE file to his desktop and install from there.

OR...

Judging from the file size you can get the full IE5.5 Sp2 for him here:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=msie

All three, 5, 5.5 Sp1, and 5.5 Sp2 are here:
http://www.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.htm

At both those sites you can also find other browsers. I personally prefer Firefox. Just don't get version 3 at the Firefox website. It's still under development. Who knows? He might like it and switch.

Edited by mommabear, 10 June 2008 - 01:17 PM.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:55 AM

You say you can download new shell32.dll off the net. Why not download IE6 SP1, it will install a newer version of shell32.dll automatically.

Internet Explorer 5.5 is bundled with Windows ME, so you cannot possibly uninstall it. Though you can update it to IE 6 SP1. But still IE is buggy and is not considered secure to surf the internet. You should :

1. Update to IE 6 SP1 just for updating sake.
2. Use Opera or Firefox rather than IE.

#4 MaidinB'ham

MaidinB'ham

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:06 PM

Install Mozilla Firefox runs great under ME and more secure - dont have to download windoze updates every 5 minutes either.

edit - getting my OS's confused :thumbsup: - no more windows update for ME, but if MS did still support ME you would be updating every 5 minutes and still have a not very secure browser.

Edited by MaidinB'ham, 23 July 2008 - 11:03 PM.

#5 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:22 AM

Go with Firefox

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:48 AM

When it comes to Windows 95/98 or ME, FireFox has stopped developing for these OS. The New FireFox 3.0 is supported only on Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista.

The best supported browser for Windows ME in todays date is Opera.

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:10 PM

When it comes to Windows 95/98 or ME, FireFox has stopped developing for these OS. The New FireFox 3.0 is supported only on Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista.

But you can still download the older versions Firefox 2.0.0.16 if he still wants to use FireFox. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

Security support for FF 2 will continue until the end of the year. But that's no reason to stop using it in Windows Me. Microsoft stopped supporting 98-ME years ago too but millions are still using 98-Me. As long as you practice common sense, have a good antivirus and firewall, there's no reason to be overly afraid.

Another level of safety and convenience would be to have a backup Image of your operating system stored on CD/DVD/partition. Should something horrible happen, you can always restore to a clean system again.

Edited by mommabear, 25 July 2008 - 02:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users