Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ThermalRight XP-90C

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:20 PM

Dear Gamers,

I have a heating problem and in my constant search for the best cool at a low price I bring you the XP-90C.

The ThermalRight XP-90C is a heat sink for Intel and AMD CPU's. Its made of all copper and is the size of a softball. Its big without the top fan.

Does it do the job?

Yes...better than liquid cooled but it relies on case air. If you don't have nice cool air flow going through your case then it's mediocre at best.

Playing FryCry the CPU reaches 54 c but depending on graphics it cools fast. I run normal at 42 c. Too hot for me but like I said my case it too hot.

I'm working on it and will keep you updated.

All and all I give the XP-90C two thumbs up. :thumbsup:

If any of you has suggestions, all will be welcomed.

:flowers:,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:21 PM

I thought liquid cooled was the best you could do?

#3 junkdk

junkdk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:42 PM

Dear Grinler,

Liquid cooled is great but ThermalRight's XP-90 series beats the best liquid cooled by a couple of degrees.

And since the XP-90 is about $200 less then the liquid cooler, it is very appealing.

On the flip side, liquid cooling is a whole lot quieter (or so they say). With my Vantec fans going, you definitely need something more distracting...like music playing or game sound effects.

On my budget, I will stick with the fans for now. Supposedly with the Vantec Tornado 92mm fan on top of the XP-90C you can get temps around 34C. I bought the fan to find out if that is true.

I will let you know.

:thumbsup:,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:39 AM

Intersting info...thanks for letting us know

#5 junkdk

junkdk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:19 PM

Ok Gamers,

In my last post I mentioned that I would get the Vantec tornado for a CPU fan on top of the XP-90C.

I'm back with a report. :inlove: :bike: :woot: :spam: :flowers: :trumpet: 34C during normal wear and tear but my ears are still ringing.

For normal use the Vantec Tornado at full is too loud!! I thought I was about to go out of my mind, due to the noise, when I bought a Zalman fan controller. Thank God!

The Zalman controller allows me to set the Vantec Tornado at 5vdc instead of 12vdc, which allows me to think. And with a handy switch and cool lights I am able to go *alls to the wall when playing games.

If you want to go the fan way, I recommend the Vantec tornado as a CPU cooling device but get a controller of some sort. Or the next letter to Mom might be a little aggressive(meaning headache for the noise).

Your cool cool expert,

Junkdk :thumbsup:

Edited by junkdk, 09 April 2005 - 07:29 PM.

Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users