Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy Protecting A Cd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Extrodewise

Extrodewise

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:27 AM

Hi all. I just designed a website I want to burn to a CD but I want to make it copyright such that the files can be read-only but not copyable to a hard disk or another CD. How can I go about this. Secondly, how can I burn the CD such that the index.html file automatically runs when I insert it in a CD-ROM Drive???

Edited by garmanma, 10 June 2008 - 07:34 AM.
I think this is better suited in this forum-Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

To answer the second question, you need to add a file named autorun.inf to the directory structure. There is a good article Here that will get you started, along with a ton of other websites that can be found via your favorite search engine.

To answer the first question, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of applications that can inhibit cd ripping. I say inhibit, because no copy protection is invulnerable. The thing is that once I open your website in my browser, I have full access to the code, and there is nothing you can do about it. The only way you can inhibit someone from getting the code is to use something like Silverlight or Flash to design the entire site. That makes it marginally more difficult to recover the source (but only marginally).

The partthat I don't understand is why you would even worry about protecting the CD anyway. Certainly you are not going to distribute your website via CD.... that would be sort of silly. Websites are meant to be visited on the web. A website that can only be viewed on a CD is not very useful. Backing up a website to CD is a good idea, but you certainly would not need to copy protect it from yourself?

#3 Extrodewise

Extrodewise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:27 AM

Thanks Groovicus, you've been a help from time immemorable. I'm checking out the autorun.inf thing. As for the CD protection, I intend to distribute a copy of the website via CD to a few agencies that don't have internet access at the moment. Since the entire site would be on that CD including the JPEGs, I dont want to take the chance of distributing it unprotected. I know any one on the remote site can have access to my code, I actually support that, but I dont want someone using the CD to do so. Please how can I copy-protect the files that will be burnt ON THE CD??? Thanks Men

#4 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

really the only way to share the website without giving them access is to simply put pictures of the website on the cd, not the actual code, because as groovicus mentioned, there is NO way to prevent them from copying it if you give them the cd
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#5 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

Hi,

I subscribe to 'PCW' (Personal Computer World) magazine and it comes with a free DVD. They use IERunner. This program opens up IE with the file needed. Unfortunatly, I can't find it anywhere on the internet but I can send you it if you want it.
This only works with Internet Explorer (hence the 'IE' in IErunner), but the files can still be opened in any other internet browser.

Hope this helps.

pcmaddeanp

Server Room Geek - IT Professionals Community

#6 Extrodewise

Extrodewise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:22 AM

@pcmaddeanp: Please tell me more about this IERunner and how I can subscribe to it too. Thanks for your contribution.

#7 Frrreak

Frrreak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

I'm sorta new at all this so please forgive me.

I have a "website" on Freewebs that I want to put onto a CD. It's more of an E-Folio than a "website" >_>

Do I need to save each individual page then burn them to a CD or is there an easier way? I like the template I'm using on Freewebs and would love to keep it if possible.

Thank you in advance :thumbsup:

#8 Wongy

Wongy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

You need to save the individual source code of each page manually i'm afraid, as freewebs doesn't support File Transfer Protocol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users