Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Find Wireless Networks After Virus Removeal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 infobleep

infobleep

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:53 AM

Hi there

The other night I ran a program to turn off my laptop screen, Nircmd. I'm not sure if this program caused the following problems or it is just a coincidence but the system resource usage shot up when it was running. I switched off the computer after five minutes of trying to run the turn the monitor on program. Yesterday my anti-virus found the PEcompact virus which I got it to delete.

However since then I have not been able to locate any wireless networks. I have run lspfix, which reported no problems. I ran winxpfix, as I'm running win xp, and that didn't solve the problem. I have run the netsch reset command, which also didn't solve the problem. I have also reinstalled my wireless drivers: Realtek RTL8180 Wireless Lan (Mini-)PCI NIC #2, and it still doesn't work.

Before I ran the various Winsock type programs, I ran several scanning programs over night. AVG, spy-bot & Ad-aware personal SE. Spy-bot didn't find anything but Ad-Aware did, as I believe did AVG. I removed the items, about 10 tracking cookies and one Trojan, of whose name I cannot remember.

Just now I ran Deckard's System Scanner. I can post the reports if requested, however I'm fairly certain I no longer have a virus and that my wireless is just still corrupted after having had one.

I can access networks wired directly into their routers but not wirelessly. I've tried this using two different networks, both of which I've been close to the wireless source to know it's not a signal strength issue. My wireless card is flashing to try and detect a signal. I don't want to reinstall my computer from scratch but unless I can solve the problem, I will have to.

Thanking you for any help you give

Infobleep

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:06 AM

winsock and lsp issues would affect the wired connections

Have you removed the wireless from device manager and rebooted?

this is a pci card?

more details
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 infobleep

infobleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:11 AM

Hi Chewy

Thanks for your reply. I have remoed the wireless from the device manager, reinstalled it and then rebooted but not rebooted before reinstalling it. It's a PCMCIA card.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

You might need to blow out the tcp/ip stack, and physically remove the card and any reference in device manager, add remove programs, network places etc

then if you can get that cleaned let xp set up wireless again

I would check the card in another laptop or another card in that one

Coincidences do happen
Chewy

#5 infobleep

infobleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

Hi Chewy

By blowing out the stack I assume you mean using the netsh int ip reset command. I did this. I removed the card, and removed my wireless driver from the device manager. I couldn't then remove the program from add/remove programs as that couldn't find the files. I then run netsh int up reset again. When I restart it then reload the drives straight away without asking for their location. It did however remove the wireless connection and create a new one in the network connections manager. However it still did not find any wireless networks.

When I did try to remove the program before removing from the device manager, it just caused the device manager to be removed and when I restarted, the wireless network connection was the same as before, i.e. it had not been recreated.

It may be that my computer is still infected and something is stopping it from not being so but I still think it is more like that there is a problem left over from a removed virus.

Coincidences do indeed happen. About 1 month ago my RAM failed as I was trying to log onto one user, whilst my computer was trying to log into the default user. Whilst not connected it occured when I was doing something different to usual.

I'm going to see if I can try the card in another laptop tomorrow, unless someone has another idea of what to do before then. The only thing about doing this is that the other laptop is a win98 one so I wouldn't be testing in an XP environment.

Thanks for your help

Infobleep

EDIT UPDATE: I tried to run Malwarebytes earlier but my computer crashed. Any way having just run it, it found 8 infected objects.in AppCert and also 1 value in the regeistary: under local machine.....explorer\browser settings\mu. THe value being mu. I've removed this and I will see what happens later today, when I get time.

Edited by infobleep, 10 June 2008 - 10:59 AM.

#6 infobleep

infobleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:54 AM

Hi there

I've decided to run ComboFix and I'm going to post a log into the forum for log posts. I knew it could stop 1/100 computers from working again but as I had all my data, apart from a few e-mails today, backed up I decided to run it. I don't know if actually did anything. Didn't take to long to run.

Regards

Infobleep

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

Don't run combofix for the HJT forum, they want a DSS or a HJT scan, see the guides

Combofix might crash 1% or even more of the heavily infected computers, that's why there are trained experts in it's use

Infections can kill over 30% of computers, heavy infections will kill just about any windows machine given enough time and a little aggrevation

The key is be prepared to reinstall and have critical backups on a regular basis

Combofix and a trained expert can't fix a corrupted windows so make sure you are not beating a dead horse
Chewy

#8 infobleep

infobleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to beat a dead horse but then I also don't want to have to spend 2 days reinstalling my computer to how I liked it before, when it's something simple that I didn't do.. I have made many small changes over time to Windows, mostly to make it more user friendly to slightly more advance users, which I've tried to remember to document so that I can put them back. However it still takes time to do so.

I may of course have to do this. I do have everything backed up though. I used Cobian Version 8. I doubt I can just copy it back though. If I had used disk imaging tool it might have been possible but I didn't.

Regards

Infobleep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users