Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Current Drive No Longer Valid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Qadams

Qadams

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:40 AM

Ok first of all let me start out by saying this is my first time posting and for some reason I am really having a hard time searching this site. I have a friend's computer here I知 working on but I need some help, his has let a few of his roommates play on it and download a crap load of everything you can think of. What I really would like to do is just restore it with the disk that came with it but for some reason that痴 not working out to good. The computer is a Compaq Presario 2700T was brought in 2002 with XP SPack 2. When I shut down to boot the restore disc it comes up with
CD-ROM=Q
CDR101: Not ready reading drive Q
Abort, Retry, Fail
The laptop does not have a drive Q and I can't find anywhere on how I would change this set up...Please if anyone could help me it would greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:03 AM

Try this...Start>Run>type "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes)>OK...When the new window opens up...Right-Click on the CDROM drive name...select "change drive path or letter"....select the new letter...press OK. Open up My Computer...You may see a question mark on the CDROM drive...Click to open...Click back arrow...New drive letter should now show on your CDROM drive.

This may or may not work for you depending how much malware is installed on this computer (this is usually how drive paths get changed) but give it a try...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Qadams

Qadams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

Thanks Douglas martin I appreciate your help on this issue but now I just thinking it must be the virus he has on it. When I load the Restore Cd in the Drive I go into one of its folders and get the restore running but it will not let me do anything else. I知 not with the computer right now but it saying something along the lines of, This disk is trying to use/delete/move something out of the hard drive and I can either abort or cancel but neither options are allowing the program to keep running. The cancel looks like it should but when I go and click but on the restore program it just closes out.
I have tried to run a few different programs like CCleaner and ad-ware and one other but don稚 remember the name. Now Ccleaner worked just fine but adware wont even get to the 4 thing it scans and freezes.
By now I知 almost sure he has something on this computer that it way to deep for me to found it so I turning for some good old person to person help. If anyone could help me or redirect me on how to found out what going on that would be awesome
Thanks again

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:49 PM

This disk is trying to use/delete/move something out of the hard drive and I can either abort or cancel but neither options are allowing the program to keep running.

That should be a normal warning telling you that it's about ready to access the hidden partition on the hard drive that stores the operating system image. It might have become damaged
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users