Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Hard Drive Software Driver For An Acer Laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 computerworld

computerworld

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:09 AM

WINDOWS INSALLATION CAN NOT FIND HARD DRIVE IWAS TOLD I NEED TO INSTALL SATA DRIVERS .
IWENT ON ACERS WEBSITE BUT DID NOT SEE ANYTHING ABOUT SATA DRIVERS, PLESA HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:39 AM

What model of acer laptop is it?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 computerworld

computerworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:42 AM

ACER ASPIRE 3680

#4 computerworld

computerworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:00 AM

What model of acer laptop is it?

ACER ASPIRE 3680 LAPTOP.THANK YOU, FOR YOUR HELP

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:59 AM

It appears to me that this laptop is just another in a series that are designed for...Vista, not XP. I don't see any mention of XP drivers at the Acer America website.

But...there are drivers for XP at the European site, http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_3680.html

I am not saying that the European drivers would work on the US systems, since it appears that there are several versions of the system.

In any case, I see no special mention of SATA drivers, which would incline me to believe that they are included with the chipset drivers.

FWIW: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5663691

Louis

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:54 PM

You are in the same situation I found myself in recently when I experimented with downgrading my HP laptop to XP.

If you need to install an OS like XP which cannot recognise the SATA controller, SATA drivers need to be loaded at the beginning of the installation when you are prompted to press F6 to install SCSI or other third-party drivers. These drivers need to be on a floppy disk, so if the computer doesn't have one, the options are try to borrow one, or slipstream the drivers onto an XP installation CD.

I tried a USB floppy drive on my HP, but it did not recognise it to read from during the installation, so I had to create a slipstream CD on another computer system, using my XP CD and the files from the F6 floppy disk. I also slipstreamed SP3 so the installation finished fully updated from the one CD.

According to the specification sheet, the Model 3680 (Celeron) has an Intel 940GML chipset, so you would need the Intel ICH7 drivers.

The simplest way to obtain them is to download the Intel F6 floppy disk utility:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

under Utilities, Tools and Examples, 32 or 64 bit according to your intended OS.

Unzip this on a system that does have a floppy drive, and run the creation utility that extracts from the zip, with a blank floppy disk in the drive. It will create a disk with installation files.

If you have no way to get the use of a floppy drive for the laptop, copy these files into a folder on the computer you made the F6 floppy on (it will need to also be able to burn a CD), and download and install nLite:

http://www.nliteos.com/

Run nLite, direct it to your XP CD and choose to create a bootable .iso, selecting to add the SATA driver folder where you put the F6 files, and any further additions you may wish, like a service pack. Save the generated .iso, then burn that to a CD. You can then boot from that CD and XP should install.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:51 AM

I INSTALL THE NLite , INSTALLED IT BUT WHEN I GET TO WHERE I INTEGRATE THE DRIVER TO INSERT THE DRIVER , WHEN I GO TO THE DRIVER FOLDER NOTHING SHOWS UP THERE'S NO DRIVER SHOWING UP I BELIEVE I HAVE THE WRONG DRIVER I CAN SOMEONE HELP .THANK YOU

Thanks hamluis for the redirect.

computerworld, you have the files from the Intel F6 floppydisk in the folder, correct?

They should be:

iaahci.cat
iaahci.inf
iastor.cat
iastor.inf
iastor.sys
license.txt
readme.txt
txtsetup.oem

If not, it's these files from the floppy disk you need, not any of the interim .zip or .exe files downloaded from Intel.

Then the following steps should be:

In nLite, after you choose Integrate Drivers, Create Bootable Iso and Setup Unattended if you want that, then press Next, the Integrate Drivers screen will be blank. Press Insert, then choose Multiple driver folder, navigate to the driver folder, on the screen called "Select multiple drivers to integrate", press All & OK. The screen "Storage device textmode drive" should then show 12 drivers. For your system choose 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M/DH). The Integrate drivers screen should then list the Intel driver. Continue on with the other steps as they appear. Don't forget to press the Create iso button at the end.

If this sequence breaks down for you at some point, get back with the details & we'll try to help some more.

#8 computerworld

computerworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:12 PM

I INSTALL THE NLite , INSTALLED IT BUT WHEN I GET TO WHERE I INTEGRATE THE DRIVER TO INSERT THE DRIVER , WHEN I GO TO THE DRIVER FOLDER NOTHING SHOWS UP THERE'S NO DRIVER SHOWING UP I BELIEVE I HAVE THE WRONG DRIVER I CAN SOMEONE HELP .THANK YOU

Thanks hamluis for the redirect.

computerworld, you have the files from the Intel F6 floppydisk in the folder, correct?

They should be:

iaahci.cat
iaahci.inf
iastor.cat
iastor.inf
iastor.sys
license.txt
readme.txt
txtsetup.oem

If not, it's these files from the floppy disk you need, not any of the interim .zip or .exe files downloaded from Intel.

Then the following steps should be:

In nLite, after you choose Integrate Drivers, Create Bootable Iso and Setup Unattended if you want that, then press Next, the Integrate Drivers screen will be blank. Press Insert, then choose Multiple driver folder, navigate to the driver folder, on the screen called "Select multiple drivers to integrate", press All & OK. The screen "Storage device textmode drive" should then show 12 drivers. For your system choose 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M/DH). The Integrate drivers screen should then list the Intel driver. Continue on with the other steps as they appear. Don't forget to press the Create iso button at the end.

If this sequence breaks down for you at some point, get back with the details & we'll try to help some more.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. THANK YOU AGAIN.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:29 AM

Glad to assist. Does that mean you've had success?

Edited by Platypus, 16 June 2008 - 03:33 AM.

#10 Oldgamer

Oldgamer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:51 PM

[quote name='Platypus' date='Jun 11 2008, 04:54 AM' post='849464']
You are in the same situation I found myself in recently when I experimented with downgrading my HP laptop to XP.

According to this issue

I have the same problem with one acer PC (not laptop) I have to fix.
My neighbour had Vista Home premium. He had formatted his comp cause he preffers XP but no luck with XP installation neither with Vista installation on his computer. He gets BSOD 0x0000007b when installing xp and when installing Vista he gets an error that drivers for CD/DVD are missing.
He insists that I will take his HDD WD 320G and install Vista Ultimate (with my disc) on my machine - MSI PM8PM-IL (which never fails in installations) and will bring him back. He assumes that everything will work fine as it was.

If I really make this procedure and put his HDD back to his Acer, will everything work fine? does Vista Ultimate has all the sata drivers or should I search for the Acer's original sata drivers?

Don't actually remember the ACER's mobo model.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users