Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited/no Connectivity For Desktop..wireless Does Work

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 amyl

amyl

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

I replied twice to a previous topic on this same subject but I don't see that it took it so I started another topic. I apologize if it's duplicate.

I did the ipconfig release and renew and tried the repair already. Below is a description of what I have done.

I have Dell wireless laptop that works through router through cable company (time warner). I do, however, have the 'limited or no connectivity' error on a Gateway Windows XP home edition desktop that I am trying to establish internet connection through ethernet cord from desktop to Netgear wireless router that connects to Motorola cable modem from Time Warner Cable.

I already completed this ipconfig and did the repair and it didn't work. At first, I had the "default" IP 169.254.144.175 but I didn't have any # after gateway under the ipconfig. After doing the ipconfig renew on the desktop I now have a new icon under network connections "internet gateway" stating 'internet connection-connected" and under that icon is the same icon that has always been there "Lan or high speed internet" local area connection 3-connected, firewalled sis 900-based pci fast ethernet adapter. When clickin on properties of the gateway icon the ip is 192.168.1.2.

I do not have a wireless connection icon under network connections on this desktop but I do have an icon wireless network set up wizard (i dunno if that icon is on all pc's lol).

<b>To distinguish the difference between the cords (I do have 2 seperate ones) I will use the colors of them</b>
I know that this ethernet cord (orange one) is not faulty cause it works from my wireless router to the modem for my laptop. I have also tried using the other ethernet cord (black one) that currently works for my laptop by connecting it from the desktop to the router and connecting it straight from desktop to the router and still have same 'limited or no connectivity' error. This desktop worked yesterday with this same orange ethernet cord at my dad's house and he has the same kind of Modem Motorola from the same cable company.

I spoke with and troubleshooted with my internet provider and they stated that the ethernet cord is not faulty since it works for my wirless laptop and that the ethernet network adapter is working properly (dunno if it's called ethernet network adapter or not).

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users