Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big Problem: Vista Complete Pc Backup System Disk

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aotouren

Aotouren

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:53 AM

As we all know about the Vista Complete PC Backup backup the DISK which is considered "System" disk.

Initially and normally, the C partition is the only "System" disk.

But I have found that if I install Kaspersky Anti-Virus in my D partition, the D partition will be the SECOND "System" disk!! And the Complete PC Backup let me doesn't give me a choice to backup without D partition (Both C, D will be backup)

After I figured it out, I uninstalled Kaspersky and then installed it in C disk; but after I install those software in D partiton, it happens again:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 & MSDN
Acronis Disk Director
Java JDK & JRE
Office 2007
Nokia Suite

is anyone know any of above causes the D become "System" partiton?
and more important, how does the Vista determine which one is system disk?

I cannot google any infomation about this issue, or maybe i used incorrect key words

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:06 AM

Have you tried this tutorial? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-vista-complete-pc-backup/

The computer will try and figure out what drives contain System files, and if there's something indicating that there are System files on the D: drive then it'll want to back them up. For instance, your system could boot from the D: drive, then pass control to Windows on the C: drive - so the backup would want to backup them both.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Aotouren

Aotouren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:38 AM

Yes, I have read the tutorial before.

My system is like this: It has only ONE Windows OS. It has two partitions(C and D). Vista is installed in C disk. I installed all the software in D disk (in order to avoid backing up a much large C disk). So, I don't have any system file (no hidden) or boot files in my D disk. Vista think D is a "System" only after I installed those software I mentioned. Maybe they have some kind of connection with Vista to make it treat them like systme files ? it is very very very weird. Microsot should say something about this in the help doc or somewhere else, but they didn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users