Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Way To Get Windows Xp To Recognize Old Hds?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 essential

essential

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

Hello,

My father has an HD in an old machine, Windows 3.1 old. I tried hooking the old HD up to our newer machines with an external USB enclosure. The problem is Windows won't load it as viewable. It shows up under Computer Management, but I can't assign it a drive letter or anything, and have no way of getting to the files. The drive itself is small, I just want to be able to copy the contents into a folder on the current HD. Anyone know how to do this in Windows XP. Do I need special software?

This is how the drives shows up under Computer Management.
For whatever reason it shows up as one FAT and one FAT32 drive, neither with a drive letter.
Thanks for any help or advice.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diego_moicano

diego_moicano

• Security Colleague
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:36 PM

Hi essential

Try,

Go Computer Management click with the right mouse button on top of the drive and choose properties. In tab tools go backup now!

I hope I have helped you :flowers:

Hug :thumbsup:
UNITE & ASAP member

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

The EISA configuration is nothing to backup/save...that's just the files setting up the main partition. Don't fool with it.

The FAT32 partition can probably be backed up by assigning a drive letter (other than one currently used on your system) to that partition.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users