Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Pc.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 txwasthereason

txwasthereason

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:54 PM

I'm intermediate at best with hardware, and i decided to upgrade my computer but i'm having some trouble deciding even after reading online. I'm looking to get good game play, not wanting to go all out though since most the games i play aren't really demanding. First off, the motherboard is listed as a standard AGP slot as having no data rate transferring modifier. Would it be better to run pci or agp for the video card in that case? will this that affect my video cards performance in the long run/should i think about a new motherboard?
Secondly, my power supply is 300w right now. I haven't seen any problems ever out of it yet, but would upgrading the ram, video card, and hard drive affect this?

thanks a TON in advance, im really lost.

Mother board: http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=U8668+GRAND

Edited by txwasthereason, 09 June 2008 - 09:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:13 AM

Hi txwasthereason, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

What games are you wishing to play?

Which RAM are you running in this machine?

If you are using the PC133 you could upgrade to the PC 2100 and get a little better performance out of it, modules this old are going to be expensive by comparison though. There are still AGP graphics cards out there, but you may have to up grade the PSU in order to use them.

I personally wouldn't invest in a machine this old, you could max out the RAM and upgrade the graphics card, but you still have a processor that only operates at 533MHz.

As for the AGP vs PCI, the 1x8 AGP has greater bandwidth and faster bus speed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users