Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Programming?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ill_Nino

ill_Nino

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

Say, for example, I have a list of interest rates and the more people I sign up to my program, the higher my interest rate is. The time money would be invest for, is on the left-hand side, and the amount of people signed up is on the top.

The items listed down on the left-hand side are as follows:
~ Weekly
~ Fortnightly
~ Monthly
~ 2 Months
~ 3 Months

The top of the cells are from 1 - 10.

The interest increase both as they go down, and across to the right.

Posted Image

My question about this, is if I were to have a different table, and in that table I have people who sign up people, and I have (I have cell referenced each part)

A1 - Name
A2 - People signed up
A3 - Interest rate

B1 - John
B2 - 3
B3 - (the interest rate)

C1 - Aimee
C2 - 7
C3 - (the interest rate)

Posted Image

I was to know that from the first table set up, how can I get Column 3 to represent the cell from the amount of people that have signed up. So, that in Column 3, the interest rate that is shown is from the first table, and gets the amount of interest from the people signed up.

No, it's not just simple "cell referencing" because I want the interest rate to be based on both the, time period, and how many people signed up, and I want it to be automatic instead of me doing it manually.

Is it possible?

NOTE: Here is a perfect example of what I want to achieve, just some things change.

Edited by ill_Nino, 09 June 2008 - 06:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Code Poet

Code Poet

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

I'm not an Excel guru but I'm sure that you could make something work with either a combination of VLookup and HLookup or just Hlookup and an if statement.

Here's a pretty good link on embedded vlookups. hlookups work the same way except it searches by the row rather than a column.

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009...icle.asp?ID=446

#3 jack gopher

jack gopher

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:31 AM

You can find here some more info regarding the vlookup function:
vlookup Excel
its a part of the following site:
Microsoft Office Excel tutorial videos