Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Down When Turning On

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 phex

phex

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:11 PM

Well my computer has been working fine for about a year now, but today when i turn it on everything looks like its starting normally (fans,lights, etc) then at different times during the boot process I get a high pitch non ending beep. Its not the same pitch as regular beeps my board gives. After a few seconds of this (different every time) my computer turns off. I cannot start my OS because it gives a quick chirp and shuts down if i try and when i try getting in the setup it goes in for a few secs then gives me the long high pitch noise for a few seconds then shuts down.

Is the problem heating? Ive never had heating issues before and the air around my processor doesn't seem very warm...

Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

What is your BIOS type?
If you don't know that post your PC's Make and model please.

Edited by boopme, 09 June 2008 - 09:08 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 phex

phex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

not sure what the bios is but the board is an ASUS P5N32 E SLI if that helps -_- Example of what it does every time... Power on computer - I get my one beep which i always have got telling me everything is fine - goes to windows did not shut down correctly screen giving me options such as safe mode - if i leave it on this screen for a little bit the ringing noise starts or if i choose a start OS option the ringing will start - computer will power itself off after the noise starts and goes for a little bit.

Ive tried taking everything out and putting it back in and still get the same problem.
Ive tried changing RAM sticks one at a time same problem

BTW this noise starts and stops and irregular times numerous times(usually). It doesn't sounds like its coming from the PSU or HDD. Seems to be coming from the board but its hard to tell

Specs:
Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Ultimate
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive
ASUS EN8800GTS/HTDP/640M GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3
ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
500W PSU

Thank You

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

The only time I think I have experienced anything like what you describe...is the time that my CPU fan stopped totally and the motherboard was set up to emit this alert to the user. Fortunately, I looked at the fan and noticed that it was not working...and replaced it.

Louis

#5 phex

phex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

all my fans look like they are working -_-

looked in BIOS (Phoenix) and waited for the noise to start
when it did CPU was at 35 degrees and M/B was at 34

Edited by phex, 11 June 2008 - 03:42 PM.

#6 phex

phex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:42 PM

is there a way to check if my 500w psu is actually giving out 500w ? its a crap brand so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.

Edited by phex, 11 June 2008 - 10:45 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:42 AM

From the way that this is happening I would first suspect that you have overheating problem.

First the obvious, is the inside of the case dust free, especially the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU?

Is the heat sink and fan firmly attached to the CPU.

If you built this computer, did you use enough thermal compound.

If you download SIW it will show you exactly what your BIOS manufacturer and version is, you will want to download the Standalone version. With this information you can go to this site to match your beep to the appropriate code.

Edited by dc3, 12 June 2008 - 09:43 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users