Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 SRT Matt

SRT Matt

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

when i try to open Task Manager pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE i get a message Task Manager has been disabled by your adminastrator how can i fix this so that it works again???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.
Try the following and see if it works:
Go to Start>Run>type in "REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f"(without the quotes) and press enter, there will be a warning saying something like do you want to add this to the registry please select "yes".

If that doesn't work try the following its the same thing but sometimes other people just get some error saying Windows cannot...
Copy and Paste this on Notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000

then go to File>Save as
Save this on your desktop and call it fix.reg under the save as type click "All files"
Now double click on the fix.reg it will say something like do you want to merge the following... please say yes and now try if Taskmanager is wroking now.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 09 June 2008 - 04:58 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 SRT Matt

SRT Matt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:16 PM

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000

when i type this in i get this message:

windows cannot find 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/system/'.Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.

and when i type this:REG add HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System/v DisableTaskMgr/t REG_DWORD/d 0/f

alll i get is like a black window flash on my screen not dark almost cant notice with no words or promts...nothing happens really..

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:12 AM

Hi SRT Matt,

I have moved your HijackThis log to the Misplaced HJT Logs forum.
Please follow all directions that I've posted, as a reply to your log.
By following these instruction, it will ensure, that your HJT log is taken care of, in the most timely manner.
Your log can be found at this link:

Since you have posted a HJT log, I'm going to close this topic.
From this point on, the HijackThis Team are the only members you should take advice from, until your log has been declared clean.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users