Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Auto Restart

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buddyclm

buddyclm

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

I am working on a computer for a friend. The computer is a Compaq Presario 5300NX. They thought the mother board was bad so they put in a new motherboard and used their existing processor, RAM, etc. When the computer is turned on, it shows the splash screen, then right before it should begin to show the desktop, it flashes a blue screen for a split second and then restarts the computer. The computer will not go into safe mode, when that option is selected after pressing F8 during boot, it begins to try to load, but never loads the desktop, right before it should, it restarts. I have ran chkdsk /r , fixboot, fixmbr, and repaired Windows XP. After the repair, It loaded to the point of being able to pick which user to log in to windows. I picked one and it loaded the wallpaper and froze. Then i booted into safe mode successfully, but it was extremely slow (took almost 10 minutes). Then it was back to the way it was when they brought me their computer. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

You might try to reboot and use F8 to get to the same screen as Safe Mode and select the option that stops auto restart to allow you to see what the error code of the BSOD is...Then re-start... It could be a failing HDD or bad RAM or even over-heating...There are endless numbers of things but if you can at least see what the error code is that would be a good start to finding the problem...

Edited by douglas martin, 09 June 2008 - 11:58 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:18 PM

Since my first post, I have tried new RAM and a different power supply. I have gone into the BIOS and selected "fail safe" boot options. When I press F8 the only option I have are safe mode, safe mode with networking, command prompt, last known good configuration (which i have tried) and normal start up.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

I guess that this would be my next step:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...07173_determine

#5 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:45 PM

Ok, I did that and no error codes were present. The computer will now boot into windows but it is extremely slow. It takes about 5 minutes for it to get to the select user screen. After selecting a user it takes about another 5 minutes for it to load the desktop and icons. Trying to do anything on the system takes a really long time. Any suggestions as to what I can do to get it back to a normal speed?

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:21 AM

At this point, if you are still able to boot into Windows I think that I would open up the event viewer and start looking for system errors. If the mobo was replaced I might look at drivers (might have wrong or corrupt drivers installed). I think that I would find the make and model of the HDD and go to the manufacturer for a diagnostic tool and run a thorough test. I might also run memory tests:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Download the ISO here and burn it to a CD. Run the test as long as possible (overnight). Open up the task manager and look through the running processes. Look for ones using a high bit of CPU and memory...(maybe malware)....

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:15 AM

Once in Windows, go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Click on the Advanced tab, then on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Remove the checkmark from the Automatically restart box and click on OK to accept the settings.

The next time the system gets a BSOD, it'll stop there so you can read the info. You'll have to manually power off, then back on to get the system to restart.

Here's some other ways to locate the BSOD information: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users