Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Emails

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Neths62

Neths62

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:43 AM

Hello

I'm using Outlook Express 6 on the business laptop (xp).

A couple of weeks ago, I pressed "Yes" to the "Do you want to compress......." when OE closed, and on restarting the following day, some of my folders had ended up in the recycle bin as .bak and .dbx.

The following week, for reasons unbeknown to me, I clicked "yes" again and then found ALL my folders had disappeared. I searched around the web and read about a glitch or something that does this, and managed to retrieve the emails lost on the second week. However, I can't get back the ones lost originally, although they are in the OE folder in C drive.

I have followed some instructions I found, that suggested saving the folders to the desktop and then re-opening OE, but to no avail.

As you can imagine, I could do with the 3 months of emails I have lost - even if they can't be restored to OE, is there a program around that I can use to read them??

Many thanks

Neths

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

Have you tried Recuva? See if it works for you.

#3 Neths62

Neths62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:30 AM

Hi

I downloaded and ran Recuva, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have also used "Recover My Files", but again no luck.

The .dbx files are in a folder, but I can't open them.

Next step?!

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:19 AM

Hi Neths62,

Please have look at the article OETips and scroll to Recovering Lost Messages.

Also see The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express, so you can avoid this happening in the future.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users