Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Enable Firewall For Windows Xp Pro On A Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GRM1

GRM1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

Hi,

I am in the process of cleaning up my home network which has been infiltrated by Antivirus 2008. Thanks to Da Chew and beepme, I am making good progress with that.

As the next step, I am about to cleanup my laptop. Before doing so, I wanted to turn Microsoft's own firewall on. When I followed the instructions till I get to the dialogue box with my different network options on it, there are three possibilities shown. One is for something called "1394 connection". Please can someone tell me how to find out what this is? The other two are for a wireless network (with a red cross because we don't have that or use that capability) and the other is for the lan which we have this computer linked into at home. I have already enabled the microsoft firewall for two other computers running windows xp, but the dialogu boxes here are different as it is xp professsional. Hope I've covered everything I need to here....

Thanks for your help,

Gerald

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:48 AM

1394 connection:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307736

If you don't have two or more computers connected through this port (with a firewire type cable) then you are not using it and I wouldn't worry about it. The wireless connection that you are not using (wouldn't worry about it either). The firewall should most definately be set-up on your LAN...This is where you are connected to the internet.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 GRM1

GRM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:18 PM

Thanks. You guys are awesome!

I'm wondering whether I should click on "restore default settings" for 1394 and the lan, as I cleared all checked boxes in both (apart from "protect with firewall")?

G

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

I don't know...If you aren't having any issues with connections through the firewall with the settings as they are I would probably choose to leave things as they are...Although, it probably won't make much difference either way...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 GRM1

GRM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:35 AM

It seems to be going OK with me leaving it as is, so thanks for that advice.

G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users